+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why isn't this working?

Default Why isn't this working?

I've been very grateful for the Pool Forum and found that it saved me a fortune in treatment costs last year while giving me a pool that practically ran itself, other than the bleach I added each day. This year I'm having trouble getting the pool to stay clear, though, and I can't figure out why. It starts to green up after only a few days of "normal" treatment. A year ago I was adding 1 qt/day in the evening of 6% bleach to my 9500 gallon Doughboy pool to maintain a residual of 2ppm. This year it's taking 2 qts/day and it just isn't getting the job done. Current numbers from the WalMart 5 way kit:

Cl 3ppm (I added 1 1/2gal 6% bleach 10hrs ago)
    pH 7.3
    Total Alkalinity 12ppm
    CYA 20 ppm

Over the last 3 days we've added 3 gallons of 6% bleach and 3 generic "shock" packets that should add 10ppm each in order to try to keep the Cl level above 10 as continuously as possible for shock treatment. The pool is still tinged green. What's the deal?

gerri is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gerri 0

Default Re: Why isn't this working?

This is just a shot, but have you put any metal treatment in your pool?

MaryLee is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst MaryLee 0

CYA of 20 seems kind of low to me. Maybe the sun is consuming your chlorine faster than you can keep up with it??
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    3 1/2' ft to 8' deep
    Pentair DE Filter
    400K BTU Pentair Minimax heater

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee
    Cl 3ppm (I added 1 1/2gal 6% bleach 10hrs ago)
    pH 7.3
    Total Alkalinity 12ppm
    CYA 20 ppm
    Adding 1.5 Gallons of bleach to your pool should have increased the chlorine level by 9.5ppm. If it has dropped that fast and your pool water is green, then the chlorine is not finished killing stuff. Keep the levels up until the chlorine level holds over night.

According to the best guess chart, you need to keep your chlorine level at 10ppm until the green is gone and you don't lose chlorine overnight. Check your chlorine and add accordingly in the morning, in the afternoon, and at night. Keep your pump running. You may also want to bump your pH a bit but it is within the acceptable 7.2 - 7.8 range.

I am also running on the assumption that your TA isn't 12ppm, but 120ppm, is that correct? It took 12 drops to turn red, right? If so, your TA is fine and you should have no trouble bumping up your pH a notch or two.

Personally, I try to keep my pH between 7.6 and 7.8 because I like the way the water feels in this range. However, other people have other preferences.

+ Reply to Thread