+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Chlorine generator

Default Advice on Chlorine generator

My wife and I were looking into an new inground pool 16*32 with an 8 foot deep end. They offered a chlorine generator for an additional $1300. This is the system http://www.comfortchlor.com/brochure.shtml
    I am guessing I will probably save money on chlorine in the long run but I wanted to know if there were any drawbacks to this system? Thanks for any help.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Advice on Chlorine generator

Sean, welcome to the forum and congrats on caring for your pool enough to research how to take care of it!! If you follow what you learn here, your pool will be a source of pleasure - not trouble. I'm not familiar with that particular unit, but what they claim is on par with the others available. If this is the unit that your builder has experience with, it's probably best to go with it, as he'll know how to handle any 'irregularities' you may experience. However, give the SWG section here a good read, and see if anyone has had problems with that unit, and see if another might be what you are looking for. You are better off doing a little reasearch rather than regretting a purchase.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

This seems to be a private label SWG. I have seen the identical unit under a few different names. The control panel and cell are always the same (and the design of the cell IS distinctive). Where I work we sell the identical unit under the brand name Resilience. It is our least expensive line. I believe that they might be the actual manufacturer since they seem to have the most models available and the most data on the unique shape of the cell (for structural integrety). They also offer the cell in different outputs for various pool sizes. Then again they just might be buying a more complete line from the actual manufacturer. They are located in Altimonte Springs, FL.
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-14-2006 at 10:04 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks for the advice. How much does the salt typically cost for these types of units?

I am assuming most all SWG's use the same kind of salt. A 40-50 pound of coarse "solar salt" costs me about $4.30 at Lowe's. I only have to add salt about once or twice a year. Very cheap.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

The initial addition of salt is the main expense. Once the proper salt level is reached very little salt is needed to maintain it. I think I might go thru 2-3 bags of salt a year (if that much) at about $5/bag. Your 16x32 pool with 8 foot deep end will hold about 21000 gallons if it is rectangular and the shallow end is 3 feet. You will initially need about 550 lbs to get you in the ballpark. That's about seven 80 lb bags at about $8/bag ($56) or fourteen 40 lb bags at about $5/bag ($70). Not a big expense! Once the initial salt is in there you only have to replace what is lost by splashout or backwashing.
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-15-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Wow! I guess this system will pay for itself in a short time considering the price of chlorine tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-NJ
    Wow! I guess this system will pay for itself in a short time considering the price of chlorine tablets.
    "Chlorine tablets" is like a curse word around here

Ha! I will go with the salt generator then. Thanks for the help!!!!
    Great forum!

Quote Originally Posted by cruzmisl
    "Chlorine tablets" is like a curse word around here
    Trichlor tabs do have a place in pool maintenance and several of the forum members do use them to advantage (to raise CYA and keep pH down). You just have to know when to stop and how to use them responsibly.

+ Reply to Thread