+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacation Strategy - Poly ?

Default Vacation Strategy - Poly ?

We are going on vacation for 7 days. Pool & chemicals have been good all season with no problems. I am planning on sweeping / brushing / shocking before leaving and have neighbor add bleach at same frequency that I do (1.5 gallon every other day - but he will not test). I will leave solar cover on an run filter 24/7 (no timer). I will also instruct him on water level and what to do - but so far this year I've only had to drain because of rain.

Now my question is about the 'maintenance dose' of poly. I am not using Poly this year - I did last year before I got my CYA <30 - but this year just bleach at 3-6 ppm. I was thinking about adding poly since I'm leaving the cover on for a week. I noticed after about 3-4 day that it sometime my not be sparkling but after a short time in the sun it clears up.

The question - if I do use it -- do I add the 'initial dose' or just the 'maintenance dose'. I don't plan on continuing using it. Also -- how long before leaving should I add it - I think it drops FC -- so I want to make sure that FC is stable before leaving and not testing.

Thanks -- any other recommedation on strategy appreciated.

Default Re: Vacation Strategy - Poly ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcst25
    We are going on vacation for 7 days. Pool & chemicals have been good all season with no problems. I am planning on sweeping / brushing / shocking before leaving and have neighbor add bleach at same frequency that I do (1.5 gallon every other day - but he will not test). I will leave solar cover on an run filter 24/7 (no timer). I will also instruct him on water level and what to do - but so far this year I've only had to drain because of rain.

Now my question is about the 'maintenance dose' of poly. I am not using Poly this year - I did last year before I got my CYA <30 - but this year just bleach at 3-6 ppm. I was thinking about adding poly since I'm leaving the cover on for a week. I noticed after about 3-4 day that it sometime my not be sparkling but after a short time in the sun it clears up.

The question - if I do use it -- do I add the 'initial dose' or just the 'maintenance dose'. I don't plan on continuing using it. Also -- how long before leaving should I add it - I think it drops FC -- so I want to make sure that FC is stable before leaving and not testing.

Thanks -- any other recommedation on strategy appreciated.
    One thing I've learned about leaving my pool unattended for over a week many times, is if, as a great philosopher once said, you 'stay ahead of your water', the pool is pretty resilient.

You don't mention details about your pool, but my 22K gallon vinyl ig literally requires a gallon of 12.5% once a week (CYA=40). That's it. I did give it a maintenance dose of poly 60 early this season (middle of May) and I leave it with the solar cover on, well vacuumed and the water elevated above the skimmer (with the skimmer off). My Dad adds a gallon of the 12.5% every week I'm not there and so far this season I've only had to do some minor vacuuming when I return.

I think your pool will be well-enough attended to not need the poly for this short a time.

C.

Hi Carl -- thanks for all your help last year to get everything in check for me.

The pool is IG 30K gallon vinyl. CYA 20-30. FC 3-6; ph 7.5; alk 90-100; Cal -200 - via ben's kit temp 88;

I'm sure it will be ok - I can actually make it every 3-4 days without adding bleach but like to be safe so he's adding every two days. With the poly - I was just looking for the suspenders :-) !

Thanks!

- jim

Thanks, but I'm not Carl.
    I just steal his lines.

ChuckD

If it was me I'd get a hot tub floating dispenser and put in a few ****s an let it loose.

I'd also pour in the maint dose of poly 60.

I can't tell you how many times we had people post here that a (friend, neighbour, inlaw, work assoc ) was going to add some chlorine, and they came back to a swamp.

I would dose it up high before I left and let the floater do the rest and leave the temporary help out the picture altogether.

I you were going for 3 weeks, that would be different.

As said above, a well set up pool is pretty resiliant.

+ Reply to Thread