+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stupid me

Default stupid me

I think I broke my pool. I did not know how to clean the filter. (I do now) ( you know what I am about to say, dont you) Please dont laugh too hard. Anyhow, I unscrewed the top. Water went flying everywhere. I had to call hubby from work, and he came home to try to fix it. Well I got the plugs on and the water stopped spraying. But now I cant get the O ring back on top of the pump. I did the best I could, reset the strainers and it still was leaking like crazy. So I put the plugs back in. What do I do now?

Thanks in advanced. I am upset because I cant run the pump, cant put in the chlorine, and do not want my pool green.

Default Re: stupid me

Hi, I would love to help you out but more info is needed.

Are you talking about the lint basket in front of the pump, and if so what kind of pump?

Or are you talking about the top to maybe a cartridge filter?

They both have o-rings and both leak a lot of water if the skimmer and return are not blocked.

A Photo would be the quickest way to get help.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

cheap intex above ground. No skimmer basket with it, just the jet for in and one for out. Ok ..i put plugs on them so the pump would stop leaking. the O ring is like what I call the hat of the pump. Where the cartridge filter goes. right below the air release button....

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Ok, now that I know it's an Intex I can help.

Now that the lines are plugged, pour the water out of the filter. Dry out the o-ring's slot, and the ring. If you have teflon o-ring lube, that's better.

Next you need to force the o-ring into its slot all the way. Don't use anything metal or you'll tear it--a thumb is best. You need to work the o-ring slowly into slot all the way around--it may be a little big (a real pain) so you'll have to sort of distibute it around the whole slot. Then you can put in the filter and put the cover back on, tightening it down. Then pull the plugs and see if it's sealed. Remember to put the spacer on the cartridge (if they still use them) and situate the cartridge correctly on the pipe at the bottom of the chamber.

At least I think that's how it all works--it's been several years since I opened my Intex pump--it's retired 4 years now.
    Carl

I think Carl pretty much covered it, but you sure brought back alot of memories of my intex pool... for some reason I really don't miss that thing at all!!!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I don't miss the filter, but the pool served us well for 3 seasons and doesn't owe us a dime, despite the fact that it now costs about 1/3 of what it did then.
    Carl

Thanks y'all. I know one day I will laugh at this. Ha ha. Right now I just want my pool fixed. LOL. I just had all the water right, just warming up to where I was enjoying it, just got the ph and chlorine correct, and just was adding the stablizer. UGH.

I have done dumb things before, but this has to be one of the dumbest. I will post when I get it fixed. I also need to add another inch or so of water, so back to the drawing board on chemicals and temp. Ugh ugh ugh. Thanks again.

One last thing.... Don't forget use the top twist valve to let get the air out to the filter before you run it again.

Also releasing the presser from the top twist valve before unscrewing the whole top makes it easier to twist and keeps your feet dry. That way you will know if your drain plugs are in.

Have fun.

We used those Intex pools for a few years and got every penny's worth of value from them. What I used to do when the filter needed to be rinsed or changed was lift the whole thing up onto a chair or table so it was above the water level of the pool. That way I wouldn't lose much water when I had to open it and I could fuss with it at leisure. That stupid gasket thing is a pain, just stuff it in the best you can and screw the top on as tight as possible. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamGaz
    One last thing.... Don't forget use the top twist valve to let get the air out to the filter before you run it again.

Also releasing the presser from the top twist valve before unscrewing the whole top makes it easier to twist and keeps your feet dry. That way you will know if your drain plugs are in.

Have fun.
    Dang! They've updated them! Mine didn't have ANYTHING that slick!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread