+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump Keeps Losing Prime

Hybrid View

Question Pump Keeps Losing Prime

I have an inground pool and my pump keeps losing prime. Every morning when I start my pool up, I have to prime the pump to get it going. What is causing this? It is a brand new pump (last year).

Thanks,
    Elle

Default Re: Pump Keeps Losing Prime

Quote Originally Posted by ellry99
    I have an inground pool and my pump keeps losing prime. Every morning when I start my pool up, I have to prime the pump to get it going. What is causing this? It is a brand new pump (last year).

Thanks,
    Elle
    A small leak somewhere letting air in. Strainer basket lid tight? Any water leaks around the filter like the pressure guage or handle? Does water squirt out of anything when you shut the pump off? Is your pump much higher than the water level?

Make sure you have the o-ring for the filter basket installed an that it is not cracked or otherwise damaged.

Question Re: Pump Keeps Losing Prime

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    A small leak somewhere letting air in. Strainer basket lid tight? Any water leaks around the filter like the pressure guage or handle? Does water squirt out of anything when you shut the pump off? Is your pump much higher than the water level?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlwine
    Make sure you have the o-ring for the filter basket installed an that it is not cracked or otherwise damaged
    Thanks for the responses. I'll check for small leaks around filter and maybe make the strainer pot lid tighter and see if that helps.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Another possibility if you have a multi-port valve would be an internal leak to the waste line. There could be a scenario with pressure nothing leaks but with the pump off air leaks past the valve from the waste line that is open to air.
    Just a thought.
    Al

Sometimes you may not be able to detect a leak.
    TIPS (with the pump running):
    Suction side (before the pump) - you should see bubbles in the hair and lint strainer pot.
    Pressure side (after the pump) - water will be leaking out

If you see bubbles in the strainer pot, get your garden hose with no hose nozzles and run the water over small areas at a time. Around your lid, diverter valves between the skimmer and main drain. Fittings. etc.
    If there is a leak at that area, the bubbles will go away because it will suck in the hose water rather than air.
    You can also do this with a very wet towel or t-shirt over these areas on the suction side...

Pressure side leaks will usually appear as water leaking out. When the pump is off, the leak can allow air to be drawn in, causing your condition.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

I'm having this same problem. I've recently got leaks coming from lots of places:
    - sometimes water comes out of the lid of the filter basket when I shut off the pump
    - drips coming from the cartridge filter
    - a few drips from one of the pipe connections
    - bubbles from the outlets

They didn't all come at once -- they came in the order I listed over a few seasons. I've checked that the o-rings for the filter basket and the cartridge filter don't have cracks.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

For teh pump lid, make sure you lube it up good with silicone pool lube and tighten the lid down good, when you think it's tight, it will tighten a bit more, I found you have to hit it with a plastic pipe to get it loose again in most cases, but it's relatively easy and painless. (I use a plastic pipe since it won't damage the lid). Lids are the primary reason for sudden suction side leaks. Water coming out of teh lid - definite sign it's not on tight.
    Pipe connections, I find every year I have to give them an extra little bit of a turn. if it's tigerflex try using a heatgun on the tube, then tighten, mine hasn't leaked for 2 seasons since I did that.
    Drips from the cartrige filter - where? If it's at a pipe thread, try replacing the teflon tape, if that doesn't do it, maybe it's where the clamp is.

+ Reply to Thread