+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: before i kill myself with stabilizer

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Default before i kill myself with stabilizer

i bought some today..recently stopped using bucks and went with regular bleach but with a lot of heat lately, burning through it pretty good so i broke open my wallet and bought some granular stabilizer....am i correct in reading somewhere that to avoid noxious gas to "add the chemical to water", NOT "add water to the chemical".

or was it the other way around.

T

Default Re: before i kill myself with stabilizer

If you've been using pucks, you need to know what your CYA level before adding more. Most puck users have outrageously high levels already. Put the CYA in an old sock, tie the top and drop it in the skimmer basket when you are ready to add it.

Was that an intended pun (bucks) or just a brilliant mind at work behind the scenes? I think switching to bleach will save us some bucks.

To answer your question - it is always "add the chemical to the water, not the water to the chemical". And to add further - never add one chemical to another chemical.
    IG 30,000 gal vinyl

i like the sock idea..especially cause my son leaves them lying around all the time..maybe he'll get the hint when i leave a wet CYA soaked sock on his pillow

by the way..riddle me this..if you're not supposed to mix chemicals, what's the process then for stabilizing> bleach..

in other words..i'll test my cya when i get home..if it's good, it's good..if it's low..i will do the sock thing or mix in water and put in pool..how long before i can add chlorine after that?

tanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tenax
    by the way..riddle me this..if you're not supposed to mix chemicals, what's the process then for stabilizing> bleach..

in other words..i'll test my cya when i get home..if it's good, it's good..if it's low..i will do the sock thing or mix in water and put in pool..how long before i can add chlorine after that?

tanks again.
    Bleach isn't stabilized. The problem with mixing chemicals is that you have to know what the result will be. You can add chlorine at the same time as CYA, although probably not in the same place in the pool.

gotcha..thanks

well, now i'm really glad i'm weaning off the expensive "stabilized" pucks. i have 2 of the bioguard ones in my inline chlorinator..the chlorine and ph levels are great..there is zero CYA in the pool..or at least i filled the tube to the top on the CYA test and there was no colour or anything..black dot was not getting hard to see at all LOL...

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you've been using pucks for any length of time at all, there's no way that you'll have zero CYA--I'd double check that before I add any stabilizer. The pucks by definition are made up of chlorine and a decent percentage of CYA, so unless you're using cal-hypo pucks, you do have CYA.

Janet

well..that's what i expected would be the case..here is what i was told to do if you want to check me:

-add pool water up to a line on the vial that they gave me (about midway).

-fill the rest of it with the test reagent provided to test for CYA (fyi,it's taylor test re-agent and it's not old chemicals..supply that came to local store via calgary agent which is the western canadian authorized supplier for taylor)

-shake the vial for 13 seconds then pour it into the test tube with the black dot on the bottom.

-fill the tube just until i can't see the dot, then look at the reading on the scale on the side.

the mixture was absolutely clear. water was taken from about an 18 inch deep level in my pool.

sound right? i'll do a double check right now but...

+ Reply to Thread