+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Dogs how to exit pool

Default Teaching Dogs how to exit pool

My two Dobbies won't go in the pool - on their own. That's a good thing but they do run around it like nuts chasing each other. The other day one of them fell in. She fell onto the tanning shelf while running around the pool. It only took her two leaps to get back out. I am concerned that if they fall into the deep end they may not know to swim to the shallow end (and exit off tanning shelf).

How do I go about trainning them? I don't like the idea of just throwing them into the deep end and guiding them out. I don't want to tramatize them. Perhaps this is the best/only way since I can't lure them into the water.

How many times do I have to put them in before they learn the way out?

In case you suggest it - I can't fence off the pool from them and there are times when no one is home so a pool alrm wouldn't help.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Teaching Dogs how to exit pool

Well, since it's already filled, you can't let them run around in it and know that the steps/tanning shelf are the way in and out.

Therefore, I'd suggest taking them in with you many times and guiding them to the tanning shelf/steps. I used to do that with my Golden. He'd pretty much relax in my arms and I'd push him to the steps. He'd swim in that direction, hit the steps, and get out. They'll catch on. Just think Pavlov. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Before the pool was plastered the dogs would go into the deep and and spalsh around in the dirty water. Now that the water is clean they don't want anything to do with it. Since they knew how to get in and out of the pool before it was filled, maybe they will remember that.
    I can't take that chance, but it would be reassuring if I put them in the deep end and they immediately swim to the shallow end (tanning shelf/exit).

PS. Aren't retrievers born water dogs? I'm surprised you can keep yours out of the water.

My teenager trained our dachshund to swim to the steps by putting her in the pool at various locations and guiding her toward the steps. He didn't throw her in but she really doesn't like it much BUT she fell in this week barking at the Polaris 380 and she leaned too far out. She immediately circled and headed for the steps. She is a little dense so if she can learn to swim to the steps any average intelligence dog can. We love her anyway.
    adi
    25x44 DIY IG Vinyl Liner, 40,000+ gallons, SWG, sand filter. spillover spa

Yesterday, in a pool store, I saw something called a "scamper ramp" -- stated on the package it was for pets & critters.

(I only have a cat who won't go outside -- tried carrying him out by the pool (not to get in) once -- he peed on me. It was disgusting!

Anyway, when I saw that "scamper ramp" -- I thought "hmmm ... hope I don't have any "critters" in my pool!

So maybe do a search for ramps for pets or something and hopefully you'll find just what you need!
    Blessings,
    Debbie in OK

FOXX IG Vinyl Pool 18 X 36 (installed 2001)
    Pool Volume: 20,655 gallons -- Laars Lite 2 gas heater
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter (S-244T) -- Hayward 1.5 HP Pump

God gave you 86,400 seconds today -- have you used ONE to say THANK YOU?

joliecharlie is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst joliecharlie 0

Are they food/toy motivated? Maybe attaching a long leash and luring them in the water with a treat/toy, letting them swim around and then leading them to steps to get out ...making it fun of course and as it was said before repeating.
    Maybe if their experience was a bit traumtic, they will be a little more careful around the pool!! Can always hope.

I guess I'll just have to gently toss them in the pool. One weighs 102lbs the other is 80lbs. So its not easy to pick them up and place them in the water. For their own good I'm going to have to get them in there.

I hope they don't end up enjoying being in the water. If they start going in on their own I'm in trouble. I have a doggy door so they can can come in and out of the house as they please. The last thing I need is two wet dogs on my bed.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

I can't keep my two labs out of the pool. They swim about 10 times a day and still have not figured out that I don't let them back in the house whenever they are wet. They are not the smartest creatures. While I was originally not keen on your idea about gently tossing them in that may be what's needed as they will remember the traumatic experience and may stay out of the pool.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

At least your dob's know HOW to swim, I spent close to an entire summer at hte cottage teaching a dob to swim - oh what a rough life!
    Seriously - doberman's aren't the best swimmers, this one couldn't get it through his head that he needed to also kick with the back legs, all he tried to do was climb up on you to stay up, if you let him "swim" he'd just bob up and sink, sinking more than bobbing.
    I finally just grabbed his hind legs and started bicycling with them, then he finally got teh idea, after that, he'd be off the end of the dock right behind me just having a blast.
    My current dog doesn't like water too much, you take him swimming and all he tries to do is rescue you, his main concern is always to guide you to shore - go figure, he's part retriever, even has the webbing.....
    Although, I'm sure if i threw a squirrel or other wildlife in the pool, he'd be in there in a flash!

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4
    doberman's aren't the best swimmers, this one couldn't get it through his head that he needed to also kick with the back legs .
    I finally just grabbed his hind legs and started bicycling with them, then he finally got teh idea, after that, he'd be off the end of the dock right behind me just having a blast.
    Dobbies may not be good swimmers but they are certainly smart animals. Yours probably figured "why waste my energy kicking my back legs when I have some to do it for me".
    Good story. HA HA.

+ Reply to Thread