+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pool first PS234 results

Default New pool first PS234 results

New pool owner, new pool construction 27000 gal vinyl lined pool with autocover, Pentair SWG:
    FC 3
    CC 0
    TC 3
    pH 7.5
    Alk 120
    Cal 100
    Cya 30
    Salt 5200

These numbers are based off my contractor starting up the pool with dry chlorine and salt. I have since taken over and think my next steps would be to raise my stabilizer closer to the 50-75 range per Pentair. My dilemma with the salt is that the intellichlor unit gives me a reading of 3500 (and has given that same exact # for a week straight - call in to Pentair but no response yet). I took a sample to the pool store and their electronic salt reading was 4000, my contractor tested with his electronic tester and salt was 4100 on his machine. I don't want to add CYA until I figure out if I need to drain some water to reduce the salt....
    Also, since this is a vinyl pool I haven't worried too much about the calcium, the pool store tells me the "hardness is too low, you need to increase it with 13# of our product" and they also tried to tell me the calcium needs to be increased? I ducked their attempts to sell me these chemicals and just bought some stabilizer...

Thanks for your help and comments, I am so glad I found this forum before the pool was done...

Aaron

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: New pool first PS234 results

Aaron,

Nice test results! I'll bet your water looks great!

My water looks great and feels really nice too, I guess I wanted to post my results because I am so surprised my pool contractor got close (I saw him using test strips) and I am trying to keep things from becoming a problem later on...

SoCalBoo is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst SoCalBoo 0

someone please tell me I'm wrong (if I am ), but hardness and calcium are the same thing. there are a number of cal/hardness increases out there. I don't have vinyl pool, so can't comment on whether the 100 level is good or not.

the cya question is one that most here will say is personal preference. the SWG manufacturers call for pretty high levels. Seems like most with sWGs shoot for 50 or so. But I'll let others chime in on their opinion there. i would, however, strongly suggest that you experiment with your CYA, slowly creeping up to a level that works for you. If you overshoot, tough to go back down, as you know.

It takes higher levels of chlorine (whether from SWG, bleach, pucks, granules, etc) to both sanitize and shock as your CYA level increases. Chlorine doesn't stick around long in a pool with low CYA. There are a number of people here on this forum that operate high CYA pools without issue. I don't remember hearing too many with low CYA that can say the same thing, for what it is worth.

with my poolpilot, i have 45-50 CYA, shoot for about 4ppm FC, and would shock up around 15 if i needed to. but again, that's what works for me.

as for the difference in salt tests, SWG units tyically have a calibration setting on them to correct. I know that mine was off about 400. the question really becomes which test do you trust. there are some known issues with Ben's salt test kit (there is a sticky on it somewhere) involving drop sizes, I believe. I would look for that, read up on it, correct the issue (if there is one) and go from there. I state this because your contractor and pool store where close. obviously, if all three of your sources are in the same ballpark, you've got your answer.

Thanks for your comments. I have been waiting to add CYA until I could figure out if my salt readings are correct. I didn't want to drain the pool to remove salt and waste all of the stabilizer I added beforehand. I searched the forum and found a formula to make a 3000ppm salt solution by taking 2.5 C water (I used distilled) and 1/4 tsp table salt (measured mine with a professional kitchen 1/4tsp spoon). I let it set in a sealed container that I then placed in my pool to adjust to the same temperature.

My test kit shows 21 drops = 4200ppm salt! My salt readings in the kit have been off since the beginning and I will email Ben, but now I am wondering if there is a conversion factor I could use in the meantime or if I should try taking a sample to the pool store again, or both?

+ Reply to Thread