+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Start- up Shopping List

Default Start- up Shopping List

I am planning on opening the pool this weekend an plan to make a trip to Walmart and or the pool store. I am a Baqua convert and used bleach the last month of the fall before I closed and was very satisified. What do I need to get in order to properly open the pool. Its been sitting in 70 degree weather with a mesh loop loc on it for a few weeks so I'm sure I've got some algae in there. I was planning on buying 2 dozen gallons of bleach(I'm not sure how long that will last or what the shelf life of bleach is but I figure in the beginning I'm gonna need lots of bleach). Also I was going to get a small bucket of chlorine tabs as I would like to use them to raise my CYA as I'm sure it has dropped over the winter and I need something for when I am out of town. What type of chlorine tabs do I need? Can I get that at walmart? I remember reading something about some tabs add copper which can cause damage. I've gotta little borax and Baking Soda left from last year but should I go ahead and buy extra now. Anything I leaving out? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Russ

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I was at a Sam's Club a few weeks ago and just pricing the buckets of tabs. I do use them periodically just to raise CYA when needed. They had two types, one $10 more than the other for 40# buckets I believe. Ingredient list looked the same, no mention of copper, but one stated something else on the label and for the life of me I can't remember what. Maybe Multi-Purpose or somethng like that. Some offbeat brand. It's been noted on the forum that HTH is now including copper in their pucks. I suspect this was the difference. Go with the plain tabs. As for the borax and BS it doesn't go bad so stock up if you want to. Other comments, I also use Cal-Hypo periodically as I don't have a high calcium issue. Sometimes it's just more convenient that bleach.
    Al

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

One other comment. Don't assume that your cya is gone. It may very well be but test it before you decide to add any more. Some pools, mine included, seem to lose all the cya over the winter. Others don't. Test to be sure.

Watermom

+ Reply to Thread