+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nature 2?

Cool Nature 2?

Has anybody ever used the Nature 2 system? At some point every year I have developed a black algae problem which, as most know, is very tough to get rid of. I just bought a Dolphin robotic to hopefully help with some of the scrubbing chores, but thought that adding another defense might help. I have been using the grocery store method for my chemicals, and never have a problem keeping my water crystal clear. Just want to try and keep the black algae from returning!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Arrow Yacss

It's YACSS -- Yet Another Copper / Silver System.

Moving this to the copper section.

PoolDoc

Lenny is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Lenny 0

Our pool was installed last year and it included the Nature 2. I wish I'd have known better because I would have saved myself some money. Based on what I read on the old board I decided not to use it. The cartridge is still in the box.

There were some people who used the Nature 2 and noticed no difference when they stopped. Seemed to me it was all down side (possible metals in the pool) and no documented up side.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I keep saying: Look how much the Nature2 cartridges cost and you need a new one every season--they start at $90.

That easily buys a season's worth of bleach--plus you have to add bleach to chlorinate it anyway--even if it works as they say. You can usually buy 5 gallon carboys of 12% liquid chlorine for $12. $90 buys 7.5 carboys at that price, or 37.5 gallons. Since each gallon of 12% is the equal of 2 gallons of 6% (ultra bleach) that's 75 gallons. That's the equivalent of 86 gallons of regular bleach (5.25%). If you need that much in 3 months (June, July and August) you are doing something wrong. If you need more than that in a 5 month season, you are doing something wrong.

So when they say it saves you money it is pure, unadulturated swill...The simple arithmetic proves it. If, say, you save half your chlorine expense--that leaves $45 PLUS the $90 on the Nature2 Cart. How is $135 less than $90?
    Carl

My builder also plumbed in a Nature 2, but my filter is new, sitting in the box.. (hmmmm wonder if I should sell it on ebay? Is there a shelf life? )

One person last year reported a bloom every time the Nature 2 would need to be replaced, so it had to be doing something. That's the only evidence I read that it works.

Personally, I think it's better to use less chemicals and avoid a bloom rather that keep putting metal in to keep it in check.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by milynor
    At some point every year I have developed a black algae problem....
    I think an extra dose of 60% polywhatever would be a better defense than the Natures 2. When I built my pool, I threw away the $100 and installed one. Then I got wise, cut it out, and gave it away. Instead of looking for another solution, try to determine a pattern or time when you get the algae and maybe increase your testing and or FC. The dolphin should definately help also. Take Carls advice, Stay Ahead...

Lenny is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Lenny 0

Quote Originally Posted by rmeden
    One person last year reported a bloom every time the Nature 2 would need to be replaced, so it had to be doing something. That's the only evidence I read that it works.
    I wonder. The Nature2 is supposed to work by filtering water rather than by putting something into the water, right? So if algae enters the pool, how could a filter help to kill it or prevent it's growth?

Maybe there's something I don't understand about how it is "supposed" to work.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default How Nature2 works . . . or doesn't

The Zodiac people have been pretty vague about its mode of action, and the claims have been rewritten to avoid saying much of anything. The product originated with a company called "Fountainhead Technologies", who made all sorts of unsubstantiated claims about hydroxyl radicals and metal catalysed reactions. When Zodiac bought the company, they dumped the bogus claims, increased the hype, and rewrote the literature to be legally vague.

I'm not sure if they really believe that the products work, or not. When I talked to their tech support people several years ago, I confirmed (with more than one person) that if you have *measurable* levels (200 ppb; 0.2 ppm) of Cu in your water, you need to cut back the Nature2. It's pretty well established that Cu levels below 200 ppb have little or no effect.

But, it is possible that the units work, sort of, on plaster pools!

The Nature2 units DO contain copper and silver. It is possible (based on my limited knowledge of chemistry) that the units release those metals, at such low levels and in such a form that they never produce measurable Cu levels, but yet DO coat the plaster at sufficient levels to be algaestatic.

I know that something like this is possible: I have often deliberately stained white plaster pools with a light blue-green copper stain, as an aid in algae control. It's a bit of a tricky process, but it works well if the plaster is in good enough shape to allow me to avoid blotchy coloration. I've never had a customer complain about, or even notice, the stains.

The Nature2 units might do something similar. But, if so, I doubt it would work at all on vinyl or fiberglass pools. And even if it does work, it's a fairly minor effect. It's value to me is mostly on constantly occupied commercial pools where there's no opportunity for me to spike chlorine levels to 25 ppm to kill off any mustard algae that's popping up in the cracks and crannies of the plaster. I also use polyquat for the same purpose, and it's more effective, but also more expensive.

But, in home pools, it's much easier to 'close' the pool for 2 - 3 days, while the chlorine's high -- or else to tell the kids to wear old suits while swiming for the next few days.

Another issue has to be considered as well. If the Nature2 units *do* work this way, you must be very careful when shocking your pool, or adding chlorine, not to let any chlorine compound (cal hypo, bleach, tabs, etc.) come into direct contact with the pool walls. The reason is, that if copper is present on those walls, the chlorine can convert from whatever form it's in, to black copper oxide stains that can be very difficult to remove.

So, in my opinion, even if the Nature2 units do provide some mild algistatic effects, they aren't worth the risk of trouble or the money.

Ben
    PoolDoc

Default Nature 2 and what do I use to replace?

I believe I have the Nature 2 filter because I remember paying $90 for a replacement filter last year. I bought my 24 feet above-ground pool in 2004 and replaced the filter in 2005. I am getting ready to open my pool, just bought Ben's kit and want to know if I don't use the Nature 2 filter, what do I replace it with? Do I even use a filter? Sorry, but I'm a newbie at this. Last year, I just replaced what they gave me from the pool store and bought the opening pool kit. What a waste! I still have all the chemicals. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AnnaE,

I got rid of my Natures 2 by cutting the PVC pipes in half right in the center of the hole where the cartridge was mounted. Then I simply used a splice coupling to attach the two halves using PVC glue and primer. I believe there are a couple of different types so your base or mounting bracket may not be the same. I guess you could simply leave the existing cartridge in place and just not replace it.

+ Reply to Thread