Closed Thread

Thread: coping brick leeched into grout

the_scum1 is offline ** No working email address ** the_scum1 0

Default coping brick leeched into grout

Ok this is gonna be long but I need some help. We have had some issues with the brick coping since the pool was put in 3 years ago. We had worked with the company in the first year and they had told us "the batch of coping was not fired properly" This was after dealing with the pool company owner(he told us) and also the coping company. Well it fell by th wayside till last week when some tiles came loose. I called the company out to repair the tiles. Right away the coping/tile guy said "what wrong with your coping?" Now it turns out it's not really the coping. The coping color leveled out over the years but it's the grout that is messed up. So the next week we went ahead and had the tiles reset and a few of the coping bricks reset(about 15ft actually). The first thing the guys said is"what color grout is that? I don't think we can match it because it's discolored. it should be grey?" Iwent ahead and had them complete the job and paid my 500 bucks. now I'm getting with the pool company so I can show them the grout originally was not right and I want them to regrout all the bricks at their or the brick companies expense. I'm posting some photos to get your opinion on the grout. please let me know what you think. The grey grous on must of the grout lines is golden spltchy colored the new grous is the grey as it should be. I'm having a pool company guy out today to look at it.

follow these links to see the grout
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_sc...cum1/my_photos

the_scum1 is offline ** No working email address ** the_scum1 0

Unhappy Re: coping brick leeched into grout

Ok they will ot fixit as I expected they woyld not. Does anyone know of a prduct thet I can "stain" my grout with? I'd just lit it all to be the same color.

y0manda is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst y0manda 0

Default Re: coping brick leeched into grout

colored grout will fade w/ sun exposure and elements stains are really acceptible as well. What the brick layer should of done was cut each brick so the reveals (gaps) are the same front to back like this: http://y0manda.serveftp.net:81/album...0006.sized.jpg

each brick was cut so that it would take the radius evenly.
    the grout should of been just a silica sand and plastic cement w/ some acrilic admixture for waterproofing.

as far as repairing the color you might want to try to just clean the grout and brick with a diluted muriatic acid 20:1 and rinse it off quickly. OR if the grout looks even when it's wet you may want to try and seal it with a WATER BASED sealer that doesnt yellow or turn milky. and it will give it that 'wet look' all the time. If you do seal it the brick and grout must be cleaned. you can find brick & stone cleaners at home depot. Btw home depot sells a water based sealer I used on my brick that is still looking great after 6 months is Jasco.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread