+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Kit or new reagents

Default New Kit or new reagents

I'm still reading and trying to get a handle on this stuff. Question about test kits. I have a kit but the readings only go to 3.0 on the chlorine and 8.4? on the PH. Do the better kits show levels of chlorine up to 10 and 15? Do I need a whole new test kit or new reagents? I'm off to the store to get whatever I need. Please advise.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: New Kit or new reagents

OTO kits usually show chlorine up to 3 or 5--to get higher than that, you have to dilute your pool water with distilled water 1:1, test and read your results, then multiply results by 2. It's just a ballpark, though, because you're losing accuracy when you dilute. The dpd-fas tests use powder and a liquid reagent to cause a color change--the one in Ben's kit (which most of us use, and will test for most anything you need) will test up to 50 ppm.

Janet

Thanks for the quick reply. I just tested again and the results are as follows:
    htp strips
    FC=10/20
    PH=7.2
    TA=120
    CYA=30/50

Using test kit with 1yr old reagents
    CL=3.0+ dark yellow--not orange like yesterday
    PH=8.2

What do I do? Pool is green.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Obviously you need to get some bleach (or chlorine in some form) into the pool to get it cleared up, but those numbers don't help. With a drop-based kit, test for Cl, ph, TA, and CYA. Post those numbers, and we should be able to give you some good advice.

Janet

The pool is responding to the bleach and still need to add 6 more gallons according the the calculator. The numbers from a drop kit this morning are as follows:
    Cl=18 (using 1/2 distilled h2o and multiply x 2)
    PH=8.0
    CYA=30-50 (from test strip)

I have pucks in a automatic chlorinator.

What next? Do I continue with Acid and push chlorine?
    My pool is IG, 30,000 gallons, Vinyl, Well water.
    Last edited by H2OLogged; 07-13-2006 at 11:42 AM.

What was the reading on the color comparator for chlorine before you multiplied? Most only go up to 5, which limits you to reading up to 10 if you do 1/2 pool water and 1/2 distilled water.

Also, if you are currently at 18 for the chlorine, you are at shock level for your CYA (if that is indeed accurate - questioning the test strip accuracy, not you). No need to add any more bleach at this time (because of the potential for damaging your vinyl liner).
    IG 30,000 gal vinyl

This pool is getting the best of me. I greatly appreciate the dialog to walk me through this. Just did a CL test with drop test and instant dark orange. Then it seperated and I have orange "floaties" in the vial--mostly sitting on the bottom of the tube. PH is off the color chart DARK PURPLE--acid demand said add 2 Gallons of acid--I'm not doing that. Did add a quart this morning.

Now the really scary stuff. Did a distilled h2o test and my cl is 60! It took 1:20 ratio to get it to yellow to 3.0. Just took the pucks out of skimmers (1 in each of the 2 skimmers) and turned off the chlorinator. Luckily it's very hot and sunny today in MN. It would seem to me that my biggest problem is getting the PH down. What do I do? HELP

You need to stop using the pucks in the chlorinator anyway, until you know for sure what your CYA is--and it needs to be tested with a dorp-based kit, not strips. By using the pucks, you are increasing your CYA, which can cause you other problems down the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about your pH right now--the high chlorine levels frequently skew the pH tests, so that you get false results. In any case, 8.0 isn't that much of a problem anyway. I'd leave it alone until you get your pool cleared up.

If you have metals in your water (I'm wondering if that's not what caused the orange floaties in your test block), you probably need to get some metal sequestrant in the pool to keep the chlorine from causing the metals to stain your liner--has the pool store ever tested for metals?

Janet

Thanks for your note Janet. I have not had the water tested for metals. Took a sample to a pool store and they did a test strip--that wasn't any help, was it? Next day, took another sample to another store and they attempted to test but said chlorine was too high and couldn't test. Also no help. Thank goodness for this forum. We do have well water but haven't filled for several days. The color is more cloudy green--I don't think I have anything growing in there. The liner in not slimy and nothing is falling on steps to indicate algae. I can purchase a sequesterant but shouldn't I get the balance right before I try to manage another issue?

That's why you need accurate levels.. if you have metals in your water, and shock your pool, green water results. Is your water clear, lime green, or cloudy algae green? And if you splash water away from the liner and look at exposed liner below the water line, does it appear yellowish?

Janet

+ Reply to Thread