+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dynamic head, SWCG and 24/hr pump operation.

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

Default Dynamic head, SWCG and 24/hr pump operation.

I've got a pool with quite a bit of plumbing and filtration for it's volume. It seems to me that as an improvement I'd like to reduce head wherever I can and pick a 2 speed pump that will -just- turnover the pool in 24 hours on the low setting and then leave the pump run 24/7. If I can find a saltwater chlorinator that could run with a relatively low gpm in this scenario I'd be able to kill most of the beasties that infect a pool 24hrs a day while never really giving them a chance at stagnant water. Perhaps I could even run a reduced CYA since there would seldom be a time that chlorine wasn't being introduced into the pool. I figure that due to the reduced dynamic head the slow pumping will reduce my electric bills to their minimum. I could leave my suction side cleaner plugged into it's dedicated port and run the pump at full speed a few hours each day to vacuum the bottom.

Please point out every hole in my scenario. I've picked the china shop for a reason so fire away!

I intend to post a few pictures of my pump pad and ask for advice on that at some point in the near future. Perhaps I'll call it "Pimp my Pad" or similar...
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Dynamic head, SWCG and 24/hr pump operation.

First, it may be tough to find a pump that will only turnover your pool once in 24 hours. That is just 18 GPM, that means at high speed it will be 36 GPM. Unless, your head loss is very high, you will likely exceed that. The smallest two speed I am aware of is 3/4 HP. The 3/4 HP Whisperflow will produce 70 GPM @ 50 ft of head on high speed and 35 GPM on low. Twice what you have specified. However, two turnovers in 24 hrs is probably better anyway.

Also, you will still need to keep a some residual CL in the pool even though you will be running 24/7. With two turnovers, you don't want to have to wait 12 hrs before a bug is killed. So, you will still need some CYA to hold the chlorine during the day. How much is debatable but I would have at least 20 ppm. Trial and error may dictate how little you could get away with.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

Thanks for the reply mas985 and oops on my part. I meant to turn over the pool twice in 24 hours or once every twelve I guess I just didn't proof my post..

I'm thinking that a good way to size a new pump is to calculate the gpm necessary to turn my pool over twice in about 20 hrs, make the best estimate I can of the total head of my plumbing at that gpm and buy a two speed that will do it on low.

I figured that I could cut the CYA down because I'd be constantly chlorinating.
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

It is probably easier to do your calculation at high speed since that is the pump you have now. Use your current filter PSI to calculate your head and figure a 5 hr turnover for high speed and that should be 2 turnovers in 20 hrs at low speed. The Whisperflow 1 HP will do a 5 hr turnover on high speed (assumes 55 feet of head). So I would say either a 3/4 or 1 HP. I would probably go with the 3/4 just to save a bit more on energy use given you will be running it 24/7. BTW there is only a 5 GPM difference between the 3/4 and 1 HP on low speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread