+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazing..........pool store says "perfect"

pool newby is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst pool newby 0

Default Amazing..........pool store says "perfect"

I took a sample for testing into a local pool store, mainly because they had a coupon in a magazine for 2 lbs. free shock. I expected the hard sell, and was braced for it...."you need this, and this, and gotta have some of this....", but the counter guy says......."you're perfect, every number is in the perfect range......what are you using to chlorinate"....Well, of course.....my answer was liquid chlorine, didn't want to hear the no-no's of using bleach. So, I left with my printout and free shock , a happy man.

Bob P.
    pool newby
    E Tn.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: Amazing..........pool store says "perfect"

doo-doo, doo-doo....you are now entering the Twighlight Zone.....

Did you get that feeling?
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

pool newby is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst pool newby 0

Smile Re: Amazing..........pool store says "perfect"

Yes, I distinctly heard Rod Serling's voice in the backroom.........I made a bee-line to my truck and got outta there quick !

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Great job Bob!

Peter

Same thing happened last time I went to the pool store. Expected a bunch of recommendations but they just kind of looked up at me and said, 'Well how about that, perfect.'
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Don't know why you all find that so strange. There are some good pool stores out there. Most of the tests I do for my regular customers come out perfect. Then again, we educate our customers. We even have a 'Pool School' for them so they can learn to test and balance their water. Yes, we teach them about stabilizer levels and sell a LOT of liquid chlorine! ($3.69 for 2.5 gallons of 12.5% on a refill of the jug, actually tests out closer to 14% when we fill the jugs, which is several times a day) The 6% ultra bleach we sell comes out more expensive! (We are a full line hardware store with a very big pool department, chems, filters, pumps, SWGs, whitegoods, parts, etc.) My Department Head even tells people not to buy the alk increaser but to get baking soda. Many of our regulars appreciate this type of info from us and end up buying the Alk increaser anyway just to support us!

Thera ARE some good pool stores out there. You just have to try and find them.

On the other hand, when someone comes in with a pool that is really out of whack, I will try and sell them what they need to get it back in line and try to teach them how to maintain their pool properly. It doesn't always work. There are those people out there who's attitude is "I have pucks in my floater so I know the chlorine is ok so just give me a bottle of something to kill the algae and clear the cloudiness." When I tell them they need chlorine they don't want to hear it so I sell them some polyquat and some clarifier and a few bags of shock and wait for our computer software to tell them they need to drain the pool because their CYA has gone over 100 ppm (funny how they listen to the printout before they listen to me).
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-11-2006 at 10:16 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread