I have recently joined this forum (after following its advice to eradicate algae) and have been scouring it and the nets (epinoins, etc.) for reviews on these two suction side cleaners but have only found inconsistent reviews.

Some people love/hate the performance of both. I have seen reviews stating that the Hayward effectively cleans the walls while the Barracuda does not, and vice versa. As an engineer, my instinct is that the Hayward would clean better but have more maintenance due to the moving parts. Some hate all the expensive parts of the Hayward but deal with it since it works.

I get the feeling that sometimes the hater reviewers just haven't properly followed the directions (proper length of hose, storing hose straight), and the lover reviews have had the equipment for 2 weeks and haven't evaluated long term performance and maintenance costs.

I have an IG plaster diving pool, kidney shaped, with depths of 3 to 8 ft. A fancy robotic cleaner is out of my budget, so I am looking at the hayward and Barracuda, and maybe the Kreepy (I am not sure how the Kreepy and Barracuda are different).

Of these type of cleaners what would you guys recommend?
Has anyone tested them head-to-head?