+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: skimmer socks & backwashing

Default skimmer socks & backwashing

I tried these out for the first time this season and they work great. It's done such a good job that I've only backwashed once this season (30" sand filter). Typically, I would backwash when the pressure would go up 5-10 psi or if I noticed the water flow out of the returns dropped considerably. With the skim sock, the pressure hasn't varied other than a pound or two all season.

Here's my question...am I not backwashing enough? Other than blowing the collected debris out of the sand filter, is there another reason to backwash regularly? My hunch is that I should be doing it occasionally, but that might be another TEKTAT--things everybody knows that aren't true.
    If I don't have to, I'd rather not waste the water.

Thanks,
    Bill

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Default Re: skimmer socks & backwashing

I think most of us here only backwash when the pressure rises. I usually backwash when my pressure goes up about 5-6 psi. Others I think wait until it raises about 10.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

I don’t get too excited about the pressure as much as flow. I watch the flow and when it drops I back wash. I know it’s a subjective thing but it works for me. I don’t back wash as often using skimmer socks.
    Steve

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm the same way--I'm the Apostle of Skimmer Socks!

When the skimmer doesn't seem to be pulling hard, I check the pressure and if it's up, I backwash. Till then, I don't bother. I just FINALLY am on my third skimmer sock of the season...It's a used one because I don't know where I put the new ones!
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I'm the same way--I'm the Apostle of Skimmer Socks!
    I can't believe the difference they make especially in the spring when those fluffy things from the cotton wood trees come to swim in the pool. I'm on #4 out of the 5 pack.

My only concern about using a sock would be that if the sock cloggs up you restrict (or block) the water flow to the pump. This could damage the pump if you run all skimmer and little main drain. I suppose you just need to check the skimmer/sock often if you choose to use one.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mshumack
    My only concern about using a sock would be that if the sock cloggs up you restrict (or block) the water flow to the pump. This could damage the pump if you run all skimmer and little main drain. I suppose you just need to check the skimmer/sock often if you choose to use one.
    Um, yeah, that's generally a good idea. I try to check it at least every day.
    Carl

Are you able to wash the skimmer socks and reuse them or once they get dirty do you throw them out?

What justifies dirty? Bugs on it or dirt all over the sock?

What's a skimmer sock?

Imagine a cross between a Mr.Coffee filter and a piece of panty-hose. You put it in your skimmer as a first filter. It catches an AMAZING amount of junk, finer than you'd expect.

I use them repeatedly, rinsing them out until they don't rinse (and start holding water) or they rip. I'm on my third so far this summer--just bin'd the 2nd this morning. They aren't expensive.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread