+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do install a timer for pump?

Hybrid View

Default How do install a timer for pump?

I'd like to install a timer on my pump so that I don't have to do it manually every day. We have an inground 40,000 pool that I maintain with bleach. Up until last year I was running the equipment 24/7 during the pool season in Minnesota (as instructed by the pool people). But started to just run about 12 hours during the day after being assured by the people on this forum that I DON'T HAVE TO. (pool people still disagree). My pump is 1 1/2 HP.

I had posted a question regarding this in the old forum, but if I remember correctly it quickly got over my head with complicated DIY instructions. Then it was lost forever! While I do a lot of this myself, I don't think this timer is something I could tackle on my own. Or is it? My problem is, I don't even know who to call or what to ask for. Do I call a regular electrician? My experience with electricians in the area where I live is that pools freak them out. What kind of timer do I need? Where does it go? All of our electrical is on a panel outside next to our pool equipment. Thanks, Jennie

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I had the electrician wire the timer in the basement. He was experienced and did a fine job. Where I live, you won't pass inspection on your pool without a timer--it's a requirement.
    Carl

Since you have to ask how to install a timer it is probably better if you have it done by a pro. Not to be insulting, but you are mixing electricity, water, and people in a pool environment. Not a good mix if done incorrectly. Just a suggestion.

Yes, yes. Fine. I'll have a professional do it. But my question stands. Carl you say yours is in the basement -- connected to what? Is your pool equipment in the basement? Is just the circuit panel in the basement? My panel is outside. Will I need something special because of that?

An electrician I talked to last year, who has done some work inside our house, was not immediately clear what I wanted. I found that I wasn't able to articulate what I needed. "A timer on my pool pump" was not enough information for him. I really, REALLY hate to sound stupid. But what, EXACTLY, do I need the electrician to install and where? Am I best to go out and buy the timer myself and then have him install it? If so, please tell me -- again -- EXACTLY what I need to buy. I have not always had the best of luck when these decisions are left up to the "professionals." Thank you!!

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Jennie,

You say that you have a panel outside next to the pool equipment. Is it in an enclosed area protected from weather? Are you able to turn off the pump from that panel? If so, then you should probably locate the timer between the panel and your pump (next to the panel if possible).

The timer justs acts like a switch to turn the electricity on and off so it can go anywhere between the electric source and the pump. For some people, the wire feeds from their basement out to the pump so it makes sense to put the timer in the basement. If you have a panel outside and it controls more things than just the pump, then you only want to switch the electricity off to the pump so the timer would need to located between the panel and the pump. Hope this helps.

Peter

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Jennie,

I think I would call the pool building folks in the yellow pages and ask them if they could recommend an electrician who would install a timer for your pool pump.

They will know exactly what you are talking about and should be able to connect you to an electrician who knows as well.

If you not done electrical wiring before, pay someone to do it. Frequently, it's the law, anyway.

+ Reply to Thread