+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do install a timer for pump?

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: How do install a timer for pump?

Some (probably most, maybe all) newer heaters won't fire unless the water is flowing. Check your heater manual and if that's the case, you needn't worry about it; the heater will come on so long as the temperature is below where you have the thermostat set and the pump is running.

There are some considerations to think about. If you are prone to freezing temperatures, you will want to make sure your timer is capable of a "freeze protection device" that will activate the pump when water temperatures fall below a certain temperatures. I believe it is because of this that the pool dealers recommend running pumps 24/7, during your swim season. Otherwise there is a liability issue with pipes cracking.
    With regards to the heater, the heater is equipped with a pressure switch that will shut the system down if there is insufficient flow. However, gas heaters tend to hold alot of heat after a pump shuts down. If the heat is not allowed to cool down, it can melt down your pipes and cause damage. Therefore there is a device that is called a Firemans switch that shuts down the heater circuit 15 minutes before the pool pump shuts down for the purpose of cooling down the heat exchanger.

So, to install a time clock is nothing more than a mechanical gear mechanism that activates a micro switch that either opens circuit (OFF) or closes circuit (ON) from the main power wires into the time clock to the pump wires.
    It is not hard and any electrician can read the wiring schematics to wire it. If this will be mounted outdoor, find a time clock box with a weatherproof housing. Intermatic offers a metal box for indoor (no weather stripping), metal outdoor box (with weather stripping), or plastic outdoor boxes. It's your preference.
    To make it simple, you have two power wires and a ground wire (green)coming in and is wired to a terminal strip (usually marked as LINE) and a ground lug. Then you have two wires and a ground that is connected to another two terminals on the terminal strip (usually marked a LOAD) and a ground wire (also green) that is attached to the same ground lug.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

The Intermatic models to look at are T104R201 or T101P201. Make sure the electrician uses ligiud tight conduit and connectors for the timer box and all equipment.

I too am looking into a timer for my pool pump. When we first bought this house with a pool, we were told to run the pump 24/7 because "it's easier on the pump since it's the starting/stopping that wears the pump out." Well now that the cost of electricity is projected to go up 72% in our area this summer (!!) I think I'd rather wear out the pump. Anyway, if you go on-line you'll find Intermatic Timers available for very reasonable cost. In answer to the question re: pump and heat,they list a kind that has a double timer, one for the pump one for the heater with built-in controls. Check it out at www.swimmingpooltimeswitch.com

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Handy1,
    Welcome to the forum. The few times a day you would start/stop a pool pump won't affect its life or cause it to wear out. Well pumps are another issue because of the torque they develop and you have the possibility of wire chafing (wearing through) and stress on the pipe. Think of how many times a day a fridge compressor motor kicks on and off and they last for many many years typically.
    Al

In looking at available Intermatic timers, i see one called the PE153P which appears to be a new digital timer. Has anyone had experience with this timer?

Quote Originally Posted by jenmenke
    Surprise! I've got another question on the timer. I researched the link you guys gave me for the intermatics timers -- thanks Kurt!

And before I call my service guy to tell him what I want (aren't I accomodating to all you safety people!? I'm not going to do it myself!), I need to know this...

We usually need to heat our water. Assuming I need my heater is ON during the time the pump and filter are ON, do I have to have the heater on a timer as well? On the intermatics site they show a timer to turn a gas fired heater off, as well. And it got me to thinking -- it's isn't really a good thing to leave the heater on if the pump isn't on, right?

I also noticed on the link you posted that the timers say "portable timer designed specifically to control the filter pump of a portable pool". What do they mean "portable pool"? They all say that. Am I to assume that they would be undersized for a "non-portable pool".

Again, thanks. I just need to understand this before I call to get this going.
    Depending on the Heater you have it should cut itself off automatically based on the water flow. I have an Aquacal Heat Pump that runs only when there is water flow detected. It is not on a timer at all. When my pump timer turns the pump on the heater detects the water flow, checks the temp and determines whether it needs to heat or not... Hope this helps... I use a pool pilot SWG by Autopilot and it has a built in timer in which I use to run my pumps... If I had a choice I would look for a digital timer... My preference over analog...

Scott

Thanks Handy1. I just ordered the dual timer. I've got enough problems without worrying about my heater overheating water left in there. It has had its own share of psycho behavior, so I prefer to turn it off before I turn off my pump. I'm even careful to do that when I do it manually everyday. So, thanks for the link!
    Jennie

+ Reply to Thread