+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do install a timer for pump?

Default How do install a timer for pump?

I'd like to install a timer on my pump so that I don't have to do it manually every day. We have an inground 40,000 pool that I maintain with bleach. Up until last year I was running the equipment 24/7 during the pool season in Minnesota (as instructed by the pool people). But started to just run about 12 hours during the day after being assured by the people on this forum that I DON'T HAVE TO. (pool people still disagree). My pump is 1 1/2 HP.

I had posted a question regarding this in the old forum, but if I remember correctly it quickly got over my head with complicated DIY instructions. Then it was lost forever! While I do a lot of this myself, I don't think this timer is something I could tackle on my own. Or is it? My problem is, I don't even know who to call or what to ask for. Do I call a regular electrician? My experience with electricians in the area where I live is that pools freak them out. What kind of timer do I need? Where does it go? All of our electrical is on a panel outside next to our pool equipment. Thanks, Jennie

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I had the electrician wire the timer in the basement. He was experienced and did a fine job. Where I live, you won't pass inspection on your pool without a timer--it's a requirement.
    Carl

Since you have to ask how to install a timer it is probably better if you have it done by a pro. Not to be insulting, but you are mixing electricity, water, and people in a pool environment. Not a good mix if done incorrectly. Just a suggestion.

Yes, yes. Fine. I'll have a professional do it. But my question stands. Carl you say yours is in the basement -- connected to what? Is your pool equipment in the basement? Is just the circuit panel in the basement? My panel is outside. Will I need something special because of that?

An electrician I talked to last year, who has done some work inside our house, was not immediately clear what I wanted. I found that I wasn't able to articulate what I needed. "A timer on my pool pump" was not enough information for him. I really, REALLY hate to sound stupid. But what, EXACTLY, do I need the electrician to install and where? Am I best to go out and buy the timer myself and then have him install it? If so, please tell me -- again -- EXACTLY what I need to buy. I have not always had the best of luck when these decisions are left up to the "professionals." Thank you!!

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Jennie,

You say that you have a panel outside next to the pool equipment. Is it in an enclosed area protected from weather? Are you able to turn off the pump from that panel? If so, then you should probably locate the timer between the panel and your pump (next to the panel if possible).

The timer justs acts like a switch to turn the electricity on and off so it can go anywhere between the electric source and the pump. For some people, the wire feeds from their basement out to the pump so it makes sense to put the timer in the basement. If you have a panel outside and it controls more things than just the pump, then you only want to switch the electricity off to the pump so the timer would need to located between the panel and the pump. Hope this helps.

Peter

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Jennie,

I think I would call the pool building folks in the yellow pages and ask them if they could recommend an electrician who would install a timer for your pool pump.

They will know exactly what you are talking about and should be able to connect you to an electrician who knows as well.

If you not done electrical wiring before, pay someone to do it. Frequently, it's the law, anyway.

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

jenmenke: You probably need to find an electrician who has experience with pools. Any pool electrician will know exactly what you're talking about.

Intermatic is one producer of timers and controllers for pool equipment (the only one I know of). You can familiarize yourself with their products so you can ask smart questions of the electicians you find. http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=207

thanks guys. And here's the deal on the "pool guys":
    My pool contractor (pool is 4 years old) wouldn't put one on. It is their firm belief the pump should run 24/7. Of course I believed them, until I have been successfully doing everything this forum recommends. They filed chapter 11 this winter and I believe there are new owners. They weren't all that bad, but still, my intention is not to go thru them. I will call a few others with good reputations and get a recommendation for an electrician.

And yes, Duraleigh, The panel is in a self-contained weatherproof container outside by the pool. So the timer goes between it and the pump? Is it large? Mounted on a rod or something?

Does anyone have an guess as to how much money I'm talking about?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Go the Home Depot and look for the Intermatics mentioned above. The timers I have are 9x6x4" in a weatherproof enclosure. 240V. They are fairly simple to hook up but as also mentioned above, if you're not totally comfortable fiddling with these things then get someone to do it. Better safe than sorry. I think they were about $60 or so....6 years ago and haven't priced them since.
    Al

Default Re: How do install a timer for pump?

Surprise! I've got another question on the timer. I researched the link you guys gave me for the intermatics timers -- thanks Kurt!

And before I call my service guy to tell him what I want (aren't I accomodating to all you safety people!? I'm not going to do it myself!), I need to know this...

We usually need to heat our water. Assuming I need my heater is ON during the time the pump and filter are ON, do I have to have the heater on a timer as well? On the intermatics site they show a timer to turn a gas fired heater off, as well. And it got me to thinking -- it's isn't really a good thing to leave the heater on if the pump isn't on, right?

I also noticed on the link you posted that the timers say "portable timer designed specifically to control the filter pump of a portable pool". What do they mean "portable pool"? They all say that. Am I to assume that they would be undersized for a "non-portable pool".

Again, thanks. I just need to understand this before I call to get this going.

+ Reply to Thread