+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recycle liner?

cdognight is offline ** No working email address ** cdognight 0

Default Recycle liner?

I have inhereted a 27' pool from a friend whose kids have grown and moved away, and was wanting it removed.

I think from some limited reading so far that I already know the answer to this question, but is it advisable at all to try to recycle the liner? I would like to avoid the expense of a new one if it would be possible to reuse this one, but other than saving money, everything else about it seems to be a disadvantage.

For one, the liner already has skimmer/pump holes that match the sidewalls. When I put it in, I would have to make these holes the reference point for liner install.

Also, I've heard that once a liner is installed, it is not good for it to ever be drained, much less sit folded up as this one has for the last two weeks.

This "free" pool has already cost about $500 in ground leveling and sand, I imagine I just need to spend as much again on a new liner.

Thanks for your advice!

Default Re: Recycle liner?

We bought ours from a neighbor and they suggested we buy a new one, if you get a plain blue one and not one of the fancy ones, it shouldn't be that expensive( ours is 18'round and was about $75). Good luck, I wouldn't even TRY to use the old one!

Hi, My policy is if the liner is less than a year old and the customer begs enough I will install it for them.

They do shrink and become brittle over the years so one year is my cut off point. The only way to find out if it is any good is to put it in the pool. With the skimmer and return in their proper positions will the liner extend across the bottom of the pool with enough left over to drape over the wall, or insert the bead into a bead groove?

If the liner is still fresh it is possible but a new one is always better.

Best of luck, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

jenpen400 Guest

A quick seach came up with a plain blue overlap liner for 199.99 here http://nationaldiscountpoolsupplies....tforflbop.html
    I would replace it if possible.

As stated above get a new one. They are cheap insurance.
    You can reuse the old one as hrsdennis says but I think your just putting off the inevitable.
    I got my pool free from a friend. It was 4 years old. I knew nothing more than how to put them up by helping friends.
    The day I took it down I folded up the liner,Still wet, stored it in my shed for 3 years till I finially put the pool back up. unfolded the liner, which by now stunk to hi heaven, rinsed it off, put it in (the skimmer and return holes are a real pain) and now 4 years later am looking to replace the liner. Wish I found this site first. Good thing is while the pool is empty I can fix a few things I don't like about my original install.
    Hope this helps.

As I already said a new one is better.

But, Virangos. Did I here you right. The liner was four years old when you got it. You stored it for three more. And then you got four years use out of it.

If I am reading that correctly it's amazing. That put the liner at 11 years old. That's not so unusual but the fact that you got four years out of a seven year old liner is amazing.

Most people are only looking for a couple of years out of a used liner. Then they plan to have some money saved for the new one, plan to move or plan to get that in ground pool.

Good info. Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

cdognight is offline ** No working email address ** cdognight 0

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply.

The liner in question is already ten years old, and has been lying outside, folded up for about three weeks now (not to mention the fact that we put a hole in it removing it, and it has already been patched a couple of times), so it definitely sounds like I will be getting another liner. This is an overlap liner, btw.

jenpen, thanks for the liner link. I am not sure what gauge those liners are, but at the same time, I'm not sure what I need or what all is available. I have seen sites with 20 and 25 gauge liners... are these the only options? I am assuming I would prefer to go with the 25 if so. I don't mind paying extra for peace-of-mind as far as quality goes. A plain blue one is OK, especially since it seems like patterned ones would detract from the ability to spot foreign material in the pool, dive for objects, etc.

I will do some forum scanning for suggestions on where and what to buy. Thanks to all of you again.

hrsdennis, Yep no typo there. I think the only thing that saved me was the fact it was still wet all thoes years.
    You can tell its done this season. Above the water line it feels real dry and getting hard in places. Stilol holds water though.

+ Reply to Thread