+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To use/not to use Clarifier - That is the Question

Default To use/not to use Clarifier - That is the Question

Last year I got pool stored when I bought a house with a pool. The previous owners were morons, and their answer to everything was "Shock it!" I inherited a really bad acid vat full of algae, and the only thing I knew to do was go to the pool store for help.

I've learned a lot since then, thanks to this site.

Now, I have a practically brand new pool. I replaced the liner a month ago, I replaced the sand filter this spring as well since the old sand filter was sealed shut and was spitting sand back into the pool. I've completely rewired and replumbed, and a new pump is now in transit. The only thing left on my pool that is original equipment is the metal wall itself.

My numbers for my 24' x 52" AGP (approx 12,600 gallons) are excellent.

Temp = 82° - 87° depending on how sunny the day is
    TC = 4.5
    FC = 4.5
    TA = 120
    PH = 7.8 and very steady
    CYA = 40
    SALT = 1200ish

New vinyl liner so I don't bother testing for calcium hardness.

The water looks very clean and clear under sunlight, but you can see a lot of particulate matter in the water at night with the pool light. I'd like to clear that up if at all possible.

I still have some Leslie's "Ultra Bright" left over from my pool store experience last year. Should I use this stuff to help clear up the water?

CToon is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst CToon 0

Default Re: To use/not to use Clarifier - That is the Question

Hi raddish ,

THe idea of clarifiers is they are supposed to coagulate the fine particals in the pool so the stuff easily settles out to be vacuumed.

With a sand filter , I think you might be better off getting ahold of some DE powder to put in . Everyone around says to put just enough to increase pressure 1 pound.

Since you already have it , should you use it ? Your call really. It wont hurt and it could help some . But I would still look at the DE for the longterm solution

Quote Originally Posted by CToon
    Since you already have it , should you use it ? Your call really. It wont hurt and it could help some . But I would still look at the DE for the longterm solution
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, I just didn't know if there was any real reason not to use it since I already have it.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also bought some skimmer socks and they have worked wonderfully in helping keep the layer of pollen and scum off the top of the pool. I've also noticed that the water seems more clear since we added the salt as well. Perhaps the combination of these two things is actually related?

The salt reduces water tension so things that get in the water stay in the water, and the skimmer socks keeps that stuff from being circulated back into the pool through the filter.

I'll be buying some DE this week. I was hoping to find someone to sell it in the 10 lb bags, but the smallest I could find around here is 20 lbs. At $15 I think it's worth giving a try.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

One caution on clarifiers.....this is one product that can make matters worse if you overdose!. They will cause small particles to clump together if you dose properly but if you overdose they will cause the particles to go into a colloidal state that your filter cannot remove! I personally don't like them (except for the chitosan based ones like SeaKlear, and even that usually is not necessary)

Since you have a sand filter, adding a bit of DE to it will probably do a much better job than any clarifier can!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raddish
    ... but the smallest I could find around here is 20 lbs. At $15 I think it's worth giving a try.
    Where do you buy DE (please don't tell me the pool store)?

Thanks, -Jim
    Jim
    16' x 32' / 15,400 gal / IG vinyl
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

I'm all ears if there is a better place to purchase DE.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Besides a pool store about the only other place I know of to buy DE powder is a really well stocked aquarium store. DE filters are sometimes used on fishtanks.....but it's usually cheaper in the pool store! (I've bought it in both kinds of stores). BTW, you do NOT want the kind of DE that is used for killing insects. It has been oven baked and is not good for filter use!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Even in expensive pool stores DE is cheap--I get 10# for about $8, which lasts at LEAST a season...I'm still on the first 5 lbs and I started with the DE last August.
    Carl

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

I got DE at lowe's - I think it was about $10 for 20lbs.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread