Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Dang is this hard!!!

Default Re: Dang is this hard!!!

so glad I found this forum!

Any my first post......

I just went through the same thing. Here is what I found -

BTW, we live in Hot Dallas, on Lake Ray Hubbard.

i have had a trailer ski boat before, and the main thing that kept me from using it was the trailer, and having to drive to the lake. So, this time, and having a "bit" more income than when I was in my 20's, I wanted a smaller cruiser. Was looking at a 24 searay at about $25K. I wanted it in a slip so all I had to do was untie and drive away - even go boating solo.

Pool was about the same for basic, or 10K+ with options. Boat cheaper? Lets see!

Boat:

Consider operating costs -

Slip - covered with electricity - $160/month
    Insurance - $500/year
    Bottom Job - ($1,000/ each 2 years?)
    closed coolant system so no winterising needed.
    Gas? $4.50/ gallon at marina X 65 gal tank @ 12-25 gph(depending on speed and what you are towing) - most marinas prohibit you from bring your own fuel
    Taxes - second home - deductible interest - not very important, as I would not have much of a loan.....
    Resale - Can be kind of a pain to sell a boat this size.
    Any ammount of loan payment.

Pool:

31' x 18' (est) - 8.5'deep, waterfall and diving rock, beachwater entry with sun lounge and bubbler, no spa. larger deck area.

Loan - ~ 250/month
    Elecctric - ~40/month
    Chlorine - I will make my own!
    Insurance - No change in premium.
    Taxes - home improvement loan = deductible interest!
    etc.......

Anyway - I think the per month cost of a pool is much less than the monthly for a boat the size I would want.....and I can use the pool anytime I want.

I agree, that the pool would not raise the property value that much, but here in the land of 105 degree summers, it would speed up the sale time. The tax office has told me they will add $10K to $15K for adding a pool.

Sooooo.....although the pool costs more up front, I think it is a better value in the long run.

Default Re: Dang is this hard!!!

just my 2 cents-- I was a pool owner on a lake with a boat, moved to a new town without lakes, no pool and no boat. I went through terrible withdrawal from the water!!!! I really miss the lake and boat, but I did put a pool in last summer and LOVE it. I want a boat next, but the pool is an everyday thing that is truly like a vacation. Even in the winter we don't cover the pool just so I can look out the window and smile!! (I am in Birmingham, AL )
    A couple of my thoughts as I read all the posts are: What kind of pool did you get an estimate for? I looked at gunite, then found a liner pool was almost 1/2 the price, and now I like the liner pool better than the gunite I had before. I would get a few quotes. Also, I just had a market analysis done on my house, (just in case I do find on on a lake, or even a little pond,) and the pool increased my value at least what it all cost. I was surprised, but seems like the younger generation wants all the "treat me" perks in life now and a pool helps a lot to sell a house around here. I did borrow the $ for the pool and figure it is less than most people spend on a fitness club membership and eating out all of the time, so we just spend our $ on the pool instead of those things, and it is much more fun!!!!

Closed Thread