+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt system? Ozonator? Two-speed pump? Thinking about having a pool installed...

Question Salt system? Ozonator? Two-speed pump? Thinking about having a pool installed...

Hi all,

My wife and I are seriously considering having an in ground pool installed. We've talked to three different contractors and have heard vastly differing opinions on the below items:

Salt system:

Two contractors say it's great - better for the skin, easier to take care of, etc. One recommended against it and says it causes heaters to blow up, "it's not good to have all that salt in the water", etc. Who's right? My wife has sensitive skin, so, if there are no major disadvantages to the salt system, it seems worth the $1300 price tag.

Ozonator:

I currently have a portable spa with an ozonator and Nature2 and love it. Two dealers recommended ozonation for the pool, while one said "it's not really effective". Who's right?

Two-speed pump:

Here in San Diego, electricity is very expensive. I've heard that the two-speed pumps can really save on energy costs. Two dealers recommended the two-speed pump, and one said that they're a waste of money. We do plan on installing solar heating as well as a couple of "sheer descents" water features. Will the two-speed pump be pointless since the solar heating will (apparently) require that the pump run in the high-speed? What about the days in the summer where the water is already hot enough?

Solar heating system:

The concept seems very basic - put some black plastic panels up on the roof and pump water through 'em so that the water soaks up the heat from the sun. Are the more expensive solar heating systems really that much better in efficiency, or will an inexpensive solar heating system be sufficient?

Thanks, in advance, to all that can provide some unbiased opinions on the above features.

Kevin K

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: Salt system? Ozonator? Two-speed pump? Thinking about having a pool installed...

Quote Originally Posted by kevink619
    Hi all,

My wife and I are seriously considering having an in ground pool installed. We've talked to three different contractors and have heard vastly differing opinions on the below items:

Kevin,

Welcome to the Forum. We will help you every which way we can to get yourselves a pool in San Diego. Let's check the points you mention.

Salt system:

Two contractors say it's great - better for the skin, easier to take care of, etc. One recommended against it and says it causes heaters to blow up, "it's not good to have all that salt in the water", etc. Who's right? My wife has sensitive skin, so, if there are no major disadvantages to the salt system, it seems worth the $1300 price tag.

The contractor who was against it does not know what he is talking about. No sallt system to OUR knowledge has ever blown up a heater. You will find the salt system to be very accommodating to sensitive skin, if you check some of the threads. Some members here add salt for that very reason, even though they do not have a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG). You can also get a SWCG for much cheaper if you check on Ebay or any other Internet sources.

Ozonator:

I currently have a portable spa with an ozonator and Nature2 and love it. Two dealers recommended ozonation for the pool, while one said "it's not really effective". Who's right?

Not having used an ozonator and Nature2, I cannot help you here, but someone can help you.

Two-speed pump:

Here in San Diego, electricity is very expensive. I've heard that the two-speed pumps can really save on energy costs. Two dealers recommended the two-speed pump, and one said that they're a waste of money. We do plan on installing solar heating as well as a couple of "sheer descents" water features. Will the two-speed pump be pointless since the solar heating will (apparently) require that the pump run in the high-speed? What about the days in the summer where the water is already hot enough?

A two-speed pump can be very economic, if you have adjustable electric rates. Solar heating will definitely help, but you may have to work out how to use it based on the two-speed ump, to get the most economy.

Solar heating system:

The concept seems very basic - put some black plastic panels up on the roof and pump water through 'em so that the water soaks up the heat from the sun. Are the more expensive solar heating systems really that much better in efficiency, or will an inexpensive solar heating system be sufficient?

Solar panels can be bought over the Internet a lot cheaper than having them installed professionally, and work just as expensive systems. If you are familiar with using PVC pipe, you may find it a lot less expensive.

Thanks, in advance, to all that can provide some unbiased opinions on the above features.

Kevin K
    Hope this has helped you.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Salt system? Ozonator? Two-speed pump? Thinking about having a pool installed...

Kevin, I cannot claim to be unbiased, but I CAN give you my opinion on some things. Hope it helps.

Hi all,

Salt system:

Usually, when a contractor is against something, it's because he doesn't know how to install it. SWGs are used by people all over this forum and almost all LOVE them. They CAN run pH up, so you have to add acid frequently. You CAN keep the salt level low enough so you don't taste it but high enough to work--remember, tears which SOOTH your eyes are salty. I think it's a good investment on a new pool.

Ozonator:

IMHO, the latter. PoolDoc can give you myriad reasons why ozonators aren't effective unless they are set SO strongly that they are dangerous and require trained professional for operation.

Nature2 is, IMHO, nothing but hype to separate you from your money. Just think about it: N2 claims to cut UP TO half your chlorine usage. But every season you need new cartridge and they are now $105. That means you have to spend over $200 a season on chlorine for it to be worth it to use Nature2--that's a LOT of chlorine! N2 is a copper-silver erosion system that dumps negligible amounts into your water--not enough to be effective. Nature2 has STUDIOUSLY avoided saying how the device works, or producing any real study that can be subjected to the scholar's standard: Peer Review.

Two-speed pump:

I have a 2 speed pump--a 1hp Hayward SuperPump for a 19,200 gallon pool. I run it on low almost ALL the time--and I have solar panels, too. I will NEVER own a single speed pump again.

Solar heating system:

Unless you are planning a permanent system that faces "the elements", especially snow and ice, most of the more expensive rollable panels are merely more expensive. You are in San Diego--You will find solar INCREDIBLY effective. I have solar in North Central New Jersey and we LOVE it. We can start swimming in early May and go till mid to late September, easily now. Think how much better it will be for YOU!

If you are NOT going roof-top, rollable panels will work FINE for you. Poconos is more of an expert on all kinds of systems, including home-brew, than I am.

Kevin K
    These are all good questions!
    Carl

Hi all,

Salt system:

Are you planning to install a heater? We had a wonderful vacation in SD over Christmas a few years back and it was in the 70's the whole time, I can't imagine wanting a gas heater there. I'm one of those who have added salt to a not SWG pool, need to add another bag but it really does make the water wonderful.

Ozonator:

Two-speed pump:

I would say go for the two speed, and have the solar heating on a second, lower power pump.

Solar heating system:

the concept is just as simple as it seems, especially in a climate as nice as yours. I would think that solar heat would easily make the pool swimmable year round there. If you had it on it's own pump you could set it on a timer so that it runs during the day when you want it to heat the pool, and during the night if the pool is too hot. Let the filter pump be on it's own set schedule.

Kevin K
    Welcome, and spend some time reading the great info here and on poolsolutions.com - they will save you a fortune and help you love your pool.

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

I have an IG pool with a 2-speed pump, SWCG, UV-Ozone (lowzone), sheer descent and solar setup off of e-bay.

2-speed pump - love it! It is nice and quite in low speed mode, and the efficiency of the circulation is better. I could use it to save on power, but the primary reason I have it is because I prefer to circulate water 24/7 like they do by law in public/commercial pools. I run it on high speed for a few hours a day to run in-floor cleaning, waterfalls, solar, etc. (I could use solar in low speed if I had actuators on a few more valves )

SWCG - LOVE IT!!! the water feels great. A lot less hassle. I add about 1 cup of acid/day to keep the pH at 7.4 like I want it to be. If I go away for a week, it climbs to 7.6-7.8

Ozone - Take it or Leave it, It's been a bit of a hassle trying to regulate the amount of air drawn into the system. Too much will reduce alkalinity due to constant aeration. The only thing positive I can say is that it MIGHT be extending the service interval on my cartridge filter, and I MIGHT use a little lower setting on the SWCG.

Solar set-up. I love the solar set-up, but you need to make sure you plan for it when you are having your pool built. The most important thing is keeping pressure off the returns used by the solar, preferably deep returns. You definitely want to keep the returns for the solar separate from the sheer descent circuit. Study the site at http://www.powermat.com before you close out the details with whichever builder you choose. I asked my builder to set me up for solar before I understood what was needed. He charged me about $200 and the two little PVC stubs he left me are USELESS. Luckily he did set me up with lots of returns and seperate circuits for each, so I can still make it work.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Salt system? Ozonator? Two-speed pump? Thinking about having a pool installed.

Hi all,

Salt system:

Get the SWG! You won't regret it! I have a heat pump and have had no problems!
    Ozonator:

Ozone actually works better with bromine than chlorine, hence its popularity in spas. In a chlorine system Ozone will deplete your free chlorine and chlorine will destroy the ozone....they don't play well together.

As far as Nature2 (and I DO sell them at work)...forget it...not needed, doesn't really help sanitize the water, will drain your wallet. (Ditto for use in the spa!) In fact, last year Australia passed legislation that requires all copper/silver ionizers including Nature2 to be used with NORMAL and not reduced chlorine levels since there is not enough sanitation of the water with the recommended reduced chlorine levels....If only our own EPA was so diligent!
    Two-speed pump:

Two speed pump, although more expensive initially, will soon pay for itself and then some in energy savings!

Solar heating system:

If you are putting it on an inground pool you might want to consider a roof mounted unit with an automatic controller. If you decide to go with the SWG you might want to look at the Goldline Control (Hayward) Aqualogic units...They combine a SWG and full pool automation, including solar control. Not cheap but they work well. In fact , have one on my pool!

Kevin K
    Hope this helps.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: Salt system? Ozonator? Two-speed pump? Thinking about having a pool installed.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks PatL34, CarlD, bparks, cwstnsko, and waterbear. I really appreciate the advice from all of you here.

From reading your replies, the consensus seems to be that a salt system, two-speed pump, and solar are definitely worthwhile options, the ozonator is of little value, and the Nature2 is of questionable value.

As for the solar heating system, I was fairly certain that, indeed, it would work very well here in San Diego. I don't plan on getting a gas heater as it never really gets too cold here.

One clarification: As my backyard is rather small, I plan on installing the solar panels on the roof. Will the two-speed pump be able to make use of the low speed when pumping the water up to the (single story) roof and through the solar collectors? The contractor we're most likely going to go with is planning on installing a Pentair IntelliFlo pump. Judging from the specs, this seems like a NICE and very energy efficient pump.

Now we just need to decide if we can afford the expense of almost doubling the balance of the 2nd mortgage on our house... We both REALLY want a pool, but paying off the expense will mean that we'll have WAY less extra cash to spend on other forms of entertainment, vacations, etc. Of course, with our own pool, we probably won't feel the NEED to go AWAY on vacations as much. Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by kevink619; 07-10-2006 at 04:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread