+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st test results

aggie97 is offline ** No working email address ** aggie97 0

Default 1st test results

I just got back from vacation and received my test kit. While I was away, it rained a couple of times, so I thought that I would use my new kit to test the pool. I have an in ground pool with a spa. My first readings were as follows:

FC - 0.5
    CC - 0.5
    TC - 0.5
    pH - 8.2
    Alk - 130
    Cal - 250
    Cya - 60
    Temp - pool - 86 outside - 98

I am about to add some chlorine and acid to my pool to help adjust my numbers. Is there anything else that you would suggest. I am a first time pool owner and will admit that I am still learning. Also, in the packet it stated that a Test Kit Guide Book would be mailed later. When can I expect this and does it explain the tests. I followed the instructions perfectly, but don't always know what I am testing, what the results mean, what is good/bad, or what to do to correct these things. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: 1st test results

FC: .5
    CC: .5
    TC: .5

Sorry! Those numbers are IMPOSSIBLE! TC = FC + CC always and forever. Even so, you need lots of chlorine.

Your pH is far too high, but I guess you know that.
    Carl

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Your Cl needs to be brought up to 5-6 ppm, at a minimum. In fact, I think I would shock it because it's so low right now. AFter you add acid to bring your pH down....

Janet

aggie97 is offline ** No working email address ** aggie97 0

CarlD - I agree that TC=FC+CC. However, in the test kit you perform two different tests to determine these numbers for the log. The instructions even state that the TC test is less accurate, but very reliable. Based on my testing it did not equate. Therefore, I don't guess it is IMPOSSIBLE for these numbers not to equal.

duraleigh Guest

Aggie97,

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Time and again, I see those results being "corrected" when there was no error.

For new users, it is easy (almost likely) to assume that you should post values for both the FAS/DPD and OTO tests.....which is exactly what you did.

After a while, we all figure out that they are seperate tests for different reasons.

Aggie, most of us simply post the results for the FC and CC (from the FAS/DPD test) and let everyone do their own math. However, I knew exactly what you meant and it happens on this forum so frequently it should be apparent to all of us.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Aggie, Dave:

The OTO test kit in the PS-233 and 234 is for quick testing and pH. Use it instead of the FAS-DPD test for your own testing to let you know if there's a problem or you're OK, but it's pointless to use it for posting your test results--just adds to the confusion--just FC and CC are necessary anyway. TC is for only one number or when you have FC and TC to compute CC. When using Ben's kit, I suggest you use either OTO for TC, or FAS-DPD for FC and CC, but not both.

I use the PS-200 for a quick test when I'm in a rush. But if I need to ask "What's going on in my pool?" I'll only use the pH test and take the FAS-DPD test.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread