+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are teses tiny rust-like stains?

Default What are teses tiny rust-like stains?

I have been finding tiny specks of brown/rust color on my steps(plastic), in the skimmer boxes and around the white aluminum coping. What might be causing these? They are only as big as a grain of sand to start, are raised a bit and are very difficult to remove. I have been scraping the worst ones off with my fingernail and they don't come off easily. Ive tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Softscrub with minimal success.
    I have a vinyl liner pool, SWG with no mineral additive. CAL is 210 and my copper tested at <.1 at the pool store.
    Would anyone know what it is and a good way to remove it?
    Last edited by poolbee; 07-08-2006 at 12:10 PM.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: What are teses tiny rust-like stains?

When you get it off, rub it between your fingers, if it feels slimy it is algae, if it feels gritty, it's not. You can rub a crushed vitamin C tablet, or some ph down on it - if it disappears, then it is from metals.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I just read a post by Waterbear about iron stains and salt. My builder used Morton table salt-550 lbs of it. Would that have any effect? The bags, as I recall, said 99.6% pure. Could that also cause what looks like rusting of screws in the water? My builder came by and replaced some screws but cleaned off some with pH down and left me the bag for future leaning.
    It is not slimy, but gritty.
    How do I get rid of the metals in the pool if that is the cause?

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

You can use ascorbic acid (vitaminC). Bring your ph down to 7.2, crush some vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock. Rub them on the stains, the stains should go away. If you have a lot of stains you may want to purchase some ascorbic acid. Add some sequeserant, such as jack's magic, or metal free, or sequasol something that says it will get metal out. Sometimes just adding some sequesterant along with bringing down your ph, the stains will go away.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I tried cleaning the skimmer box and stairs with cal hypo and some pH down. Cal hypo really didn't do much of anything. pH down did a good job on some and OK on other stains, but really didn't do anything on the stairs.
    I'll try some vit. C and see what happens. My pH was up,added muriatic acid and brought it down to 7.4 last night.
    Thanks for the information!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Table salt should NEVER be used in a pool. It contains an anti-caking agent (yellow prussiate of soda) which is a iron compound. Only use pool salt, solar salt, or water softener pellets that don't contain iron removers or water softener tank cleaners that are at least 99.5% pure salt!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

It was the builder that added the salt. They told me I'd probably see these little satins and not to worry about them. My steps now have a large amountof these little specks all over them.
    What should I use to get the metals out? I saw Jack's Blue stuff-I have a SWG and a heater, the purple stuff is not for heaters as I recall. Is there a better formula out there and what is the proper way to do it? I really don't trust the pool stores to know.
    one other thing-when trying the vit. C does the strength matter? I used 250 mg. tabs and results were OK, but better than with cal hypo. Do I need stronger tabs?
    Last edited by poolbee; 07-12-2006 at 08:57 PM.

If the vitamin C tablet worked, then it is metal stain. If the cal hypo worked, then it is an organic stain. If it is a metal stain, you can either use ascorbic acid (which is vitamin C), or oxallic acid. I use the ascorbic. Since you only have a few spots, I would try lowering the ph down to 7.2 and adding a sequestering agent like sequasol, jack's magic the pink stuff, or blue stuff, Metal free, any thing that say holds metals in suspension. Try this first - sometimes it will lift off stains that have just started. If it doesn't work, you can then do the ascorbic acid. You can get it at:

http://www.msm-msm.com/store/agora.c...scorbic%20Acid

or:http://www.chemistrystore.com/Ascorbic_Acid.htm
    Northeast PA

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by poolbee
    It was the builder that added the salt. They told me I'd probably see these little satins and not to worry about them. My steps now have a large amountof these little specks all over them.
    What should I use to get the metals out? I saw Jack's Blue stuff-I have a SWG and a heater, the purple stuff is not for heaters as I recall.
    Where did you hear that? The technical secton of the Jack's Magic website (for industry professionals) makes no mention of not using the Purple stuff with heaters. They recommend it for any pool with high TDS, which is what a salt pool is.
    Is there a better formula out there and what is the proper way to do it? I really don't trust the pool stores to know.
    one other thing-when trying the vit. C does the strength matter? I used 250 mg. tabs and results were OK, but better than with cal hypo. Do I need stronger tabs?
    I would be interesed in where you got the info on the Purple Stuff?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I said as I recall. I have been reading up on so many different things I am probably confused. That's why I come here to seek advise, so I don't have to trial and error it. I am definitely not giving out any advise as I am absolutely no expert. I think I may have honed in on the Blue Stuff as it says it is for pools with heaters and dismissed the Purple as not because it doesn't specifically say it is. I guess I assumed and you know what they say about assuming...
    Anyway, I do have a SWG so the Purple Stuff would be the best bet for me?

+ Reply to Thread