+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need SOOOO much help!

Well, none of the pool places in town have the type of test kit you guys are talking about. I haven't tried WalMart yet. But I did find one of the pool places that offered for us to bring in some water from the pool and they will analize it and tell us what we need to do. So I'll probably try that in the morning, if they give me the results of the test I'll post them and you guys can see what they tell me. If I can't find the test kit at walmart I'll order the one online tonight.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Just a word of warning. Do let the poolstore do the tests but ignore any advice they give, especially when they try and sell you a bunch of stuff. Keep your wallet and credit cards hidden.
    Al

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos
    Just a word of warning. Do let the poolstore do the tests but ignore any advice they give, especially when they try and sell you a bunch of stuff. Keep your wallet and credit cards hidden.
    Al
    You betcha. You don't wanna get "Pool Stored!" Get the results, tell 'em you'll be back when you've analyzed them with some friends (that's us! ). I'd be friendly, but firm--you may WELL need to go back to them for things like CYA (stabilizer), fittings, PolyQuat, test reagent chemicals.

If for some reason you want tri-chlor pucks or Cal-Hypo (and there are good reasons to use these products from time to time--just not all the time), you'll be back at the pool store.
    Carl

OK my new friends. I finally got to the pool store with my sample, here's the results that they printed for me. You guys let me know what I should do now.

Free Chlorine: .2PPM
    Total Chlorine: .2PPM
    Combined Chlorine: .0PPM
    PH: 7.7
    Hardness: 70 ppm
    Alkalinity: 19 ppm
    Cyanuric Acid: 5 ppm

We have a 27 foot round above ground pool. 52 or 54" deep I can't remember for sure.

These results were taken about a week after we poured 10 bags of shock in the pool and the filters been running since. The shock turned the soupy green water into cloudy bluish water and that's is where it is now. Haven't added any chemicals other than the shock.

Soooo, now what?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by lorettasweet
    OK my new friends. I finally got to the pool store with my sample, here's the results that they printed for me. You guys let me know what I should do now.

Free Chlorine: .2PPM
    Total Chlorine: .2PPM
    Combined Chlorine: .0PPM
    PH: 7.7
    Hardness: 70 ppm
    Alkalinity: 19 ppm
    Cyanuric Acid: 5 ppm

We have a 27 foot round above ground pool. 52 or 54" deep I can't remember for sure.

These results were taken about a week after we poured 10 bags of shock in the pool and the filters been running since. The shock turned the soupy green water into cloudy bluish water and that's is where it is now. Haven't added any chemicals other than the shock.

Soooo, now what?
    First step is to get a good test kit. If none of the pool stores carry one then order Ben's or go online and get a Taylor K-2006 (Ben's is a better deal for the money!) OR see if walmart has the $15 5 way drop kit (will get you started until the kit you ordered from Ben arrives but it will not test Free chlorine....only Total!) Cloudy blusih water sounds like water with mostly dead algae. IMHO, I would put bleach in the pool and get it back to shock level (with 5ppm CYA that would be 10PPM free chlorine), keep it there, , filter 24/7, and vacumn to waste until the water is clear (but I have been know to be a bit obsessive ), then let the free chlorine drop to 3 ppm and keep it there, get your CYA up to about 30 ppm, and then bring your ALK up to 80-120 ppm with baking soda. Keep your chlorine at 3 ppm throughout. When the Alk has stabilized at 80-120 get your pH to somewhere between 7.2-7.8 (lower end probably a bit better) by adding SMALL amounts of either acid (dry or muriatic) to lower it or Borax to raise it and waiting 24 hours (wait at least 4 or 5!) retesting and making small adjustments until the pH is in range. General consensus is that you don't have to worry about calcium with a vinyl pool! You are then good to go! (swimming that is)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Can you post a link to Bens test kit you're talking about. I found the ones on this page: http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/kits.php

But it appears they are discontinued. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Loretta,

Soooo, now what?
    I am only going to repeat what's already been said. Not to Nag, Loretta, but to emphasize what all the folks above have been saying.

You need a good test kit.

Any advice anyone gives you on the forum will be simply a guess until you can post your current numbers so we can all help you get your water under control. I know it's tough to cough up a significant amount of money that doesn't "do" anything to your pool but you will be paid back a hundred times over.

You must be able to test for pH, FC, CC, CYA and Alk. If you're not sure what those are, ask and we'll explain. Don't waste your time (and money) running back and forth to the pool store for the tests.....it's too costly, too time consuming, and frequently, too inaccurate.

It's obvious you're willing and eager to learn....that test kit really has to be your first step.

Once you get your kit, figure your pool for about 17,000 gallons.

I would not waste money and time putting an arbitrary amount of "Shock" into your pool. Post your numbers and we'll all help you with meaningful dosages (and meaningful results)

Dave S.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by lorettasweet
    Can you post a link to Bens test kit you're talking about. I found the ones on this page: http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/kits.php

But it appears they are discontinued. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
    Try here!
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/ps234.php
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

OK, I'll get a good testkit. But is there somewhere on this forum that lists what exactly I need to raise PH so much, and how much of it. As well as the others. I kneed to know exactly how to get my pool to the levels they need to be at.

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

To raise both PH and Alkalinity at the same time, use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. You can get it in 4 pound boxes at the grocery store and 12 pound bags at Sam's Club, Costco, etc. There is a dosage chart on the box. As for what your levels should be...I have a chart at home that I made up using various information from this board & Pool Solutions (PoolDoc runs both sites). But, I'm not home right now...I'm at work.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

+ Reply to Thread