+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PINK bacteria in the filter (Cartridge)

Default PINK bacteria in the filter (Cartridge)

I noticed quite a lot of pink bacteria on my cartridge filters today. None in the pool (that I can see). I switched to my backup set of cartridges(system uses 2). I cleaned the filters with a powerwasher. Should I spray or soak them before replacing them? Will drying them out work?

How do you kill this stuff? Pool(pipes, etc)? On the filters?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: PINK bacteria in the filter (Cartridge)

NEVER EVER EVER SOAK A CARTRIDGE THAT HAS ORGANICS ON IT IN MURIATIC ACID.
    The acid will cause the organics to harden into a cement like susbstance and ruin the cartridge!
    You can soak it in bleach to kill the cyanobacteria.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

What % of bleach will kill cyanbacteria? What is the best way to maintain my cartridge filters? I have been power washing and replacing. Pool is closed Oct-April and filters are stored in garage. How often should they be replaced? Any advice is appreciated.

duraleigh Guest

The same water that passes thru your cartridge is also in your pool. I suspect if you post a full set of test results, you will be low in Cl or have been low in the past.

Proper Cl levels in your pool will probably eliminate algae issues in your cartridge as well.

Powerwashing can be dangerous to your cartridge. If the pressure is high enough, it could rip or put holes in the cartridge rendering it useless. Not an easy thing to diagnose or find when it happens. You should be able to get them adequately clean using a garden hose with the nozzle set to "jet".
    IG 30,000 gal vinyl

I am sure I let my chlorine levels fall too much and too often. I use bleach and have a puck tower in use. Here are my numbers from my local pool store. Pinpoint computerized water analysis... FC 1.3 TC 1.9 CC .7 pH 7.6 CA 38 TA 140 CH 285 Temp 75. Very hard makeup water(well).

FYI... Pool store notes that local commercial pool operators have been having luck dosing chlorine pools with bromine to control/kill pink "algae".

Pool tends to move to 7.4... keep adding Borax to maintain 7.6+ Any suggestions on getting the TA down... muriatic acid? What will happen to my pH then?
    Fiberglass IG with hot tub/18,500 gallons

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'm assuming your CA reading is your CYA reading? If it is correct, then you need to shock your pool up to 15 and try to maintain that level for a few days. Test 2 or better yet, 3x a day and each time, add enough bleach to bring the cl level back up to 15. That is the key to killing algae - sustained high cl levels that don't yo-yo up and down. Also, ph of 7.4 is fine. You don't need to add Borax if it is 7.4. Your TA is also probably just fine at 140.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Longgrove
    What % of bleach will kill cyanbacteria? What is the best way to maintain my cartridge filters? I have been power washing and replacing. Pool is closed Oct-April and filters are stored in garage. How often should they be replaced? Any advice is appreciated.
    First, if you maintain proper chlorine levels in your pool then it will keep your filter clean and free from the cyanobacteria. If you want to soak the filter because it is really covered then one half to one cup ultra bleach in each gallon of water should do it. You will only need to soak for a few minutes (maybe 10-15) and be sure and hose off the filter well after.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread