+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DPD Powder Question

Default DPD Powder Question

I have the PS233 test kit & suddenly needed (don't ask) new powder for the DPD test. Needing it quickly, I ordered it from Leslie's Pools & got it in today.

The powder is finer & the scoop that came with it is smaller. Do I use their scoop & do the rest of the test the same & use the same 10ml of water?

Or do I use Ben's scoop & proceed as usual?
    27ft. Round AG Pool

Default Re: DPD Powder Question

Last season, after dumping DPD powder all over the place, I found myself in the same situation. After going to the local pool store and buying DPD powder from them, I noticed the scoop it came with was smaller. I continued using my PS233 scoop all last year. This year, after ordering more from Ben, I decided to compare and noticed no difference in readings (up to 11 ppm FC) using the Taylor Scoop and the PS233 scoop. I started off this year using the new smaller one thinking that I might stretch the powder out a little further then switched back. I personally prefer Ben's scoops as they are a little longer however with the lesson learned, I don't fill the scoop all the way up. One thing I did like about the Taylor was that it had a "coating" on the inside to absorb moisture. I noticed that Ben has started putting little silica pouhes in his now as well.

Dave

Mine got dumped also!

So, you are saying using the other powder that it did not matter which scoop you used? Was the other powder you ordered finer than the stuff in the test kit?
    27ft. Round AG Pool

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Curiously, the amount you use of the FAS-DPD powder isn't critical. You need enough to make the water turn pink. That's all. More doesn't make it pinker or affect the reading--it just wastes powder.
    Carl

That is good to know Carl. I thought I had read on here to be sure to use 1 level scoop.

Thanks guys for the help!
    27ft. Round AG Pool

Quote Originally Posted by bassadict69
    Mine got dumped also!

So, you are saying using the other powder that it did not matter which scoop you used? Was the other powder you ordered finer than the stuff in the test kit?
    I have bought DPD powder locally on more than one occasion and never really noticed if it was finer than Ben's. If I do it again, I'll pay more attention. Yes, It does not matter which scoop I use. Now, when I use Ben's, I use < 1 scoop and with Taylor's I use one scoop.

Dave

AndieP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst AndieP 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Curiously, the amount you use of the FAS-DPD powder isn't critical. You need enough to make the water turn pink. That's all. More doesn't make it pinker or affect the reading--it just wastes powder.
    That good to know....so I really can use just 1 scoop of powder with the Taylor 2006 kit instead of 2? I tried it tonight and the water turned pink with just 1 scoop. Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The kit from the store said to use 2. I was just thinking this morning that I was going to run out at the rate I'm testing. (who's obsessed? not me.)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Trust us...All you need is enough to turn the water pink. More doesn't have any effect--other than to use up the re-agent. I use one scoop all the time.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread