+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My pool, "The Bleach Beast"

jmjbj_h Guest

Default My pool, "The Bleach Beast"

I am in need of assistance from all of your combined wisdom. I cannot seem to tame the bleach eating beast that is my pool. Here is the story. I have a 17,280 gallon vinyl lined inground. Last year I was "duped" into the money pit that is Baquacil What can I say, it was my first year as a pool owner and I didn't know better. Up until Mid-June this year I was using Baquabeast until I made the investment in a new liner and sand filter (over 10 years old and very much due.) Prior to the change I was experiencing severe green algae and very hazy water that I could not tame no matter the amount of algecide and shock.

Needless to say, after the refill I started on BBB and have been overwelmed by the improvement in my water quality. I am using a Taylor FAS DPD to track my progress 1 to 2 times a day, adding bleach at night and testing in the morning. I have a opaque diamond 12 mil cover and the pool is 4.5 deep. I am losing about half my FC a day and little to none at night. My filter runs a night for 10 hours. I am putting a least a bottle a day in and the weather is 80 to 90 and sunny. Bather load is average and seems to have little affect on my FC.

I have two possible conclusions: (1) My solar cover is letting two much light in during the day, especially since I have a shallow pool. (2) I am fighting the residual Baquacil that could be in the piping, if that happens.

Is it too much to keep adding 3 qts a day?

Tonight
    FC 2.0
    CC 0.4
    CYA 40
    PH 7.6
    CA 110
    TA 110

This morning
    FC 5.4
    CC 0.2
    CYA 40
    PH 7.6
    CA 110
    TA 110

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Re: My pool, "The Bleach Beast"

We'll see what the experts say, but I think you're fighting something. You CC is never zero. You say you're not losing any CL over night, but I'm not so sure about that..

I would raise to shock level for at least one night (until it holds) and see if that does it.

Are you sure your CYA is 40? Was it confirmed by two places? (maybe you and a pool store?)

Robert

jmjbj_h Guest

Thank you for the response. I am at odds with the local pool stores and am stubbornly boycotting them. I have made it my mission to let everyone know about the "pool store chemical trap." Anyhow, I have taken my Cya 3 Times and each result has been the same. I took into account my vision and had my wife do it also. They all came out right around 40. I used the bleachcalc to figure how much acid to add in pounds since that was the number I was targeting.

I shocked last night after my post and will see later what reading I get.

Joe

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

It is not unusual to add 3 quarts per evening. I have a 24 ft AG (approximately 13,500 gallons) and I typically add 2 quarts per evening and my cya is around 40ish. (Sometimes I add 3.) With your increased volume, I don't think 3 quarts sounds excessive.

With 17,280 gallons, 3 quarts is 2.6 ppm per day of Cl lost. I lose 2 - 3 ppm per day from my pool, and it's 36,000 gallons, so that's one big jug of Cl (1.42 gallons) per day...

I read someone else posted on here the other day that they thought 2 ppm per day was normal.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You might try raising your CYA a little and see if that slows your chlorine consumption.

One thought--when you finished your Baq conversion, did you change your filter media? If not, you probably still have Baq gunk in the filter...

Janet

jmjbj_h Guest

Thank you all for your replies. I bought a new sand filter that only ran on baquabeast for a 3 days. It was then drained and has ran on bleach since.

It is reassuring that it is normal to lose 2-3 ppm of FC a day. That makes sense when I look at my logbook. Most of my loss is during the day and is around 2 ppm.

It just seems like I have to keep a lot of bleach around, 4 bottles to shock when I am above .5 CC and then 1 per day to keep my 3-6 ppm level. I am not using and cal-hypo pucks or granules because I want to keep control of my stablizer.

Is there a non-stabilized option that will add FC without CYA? If so, would it make a cost/storage difference or even add enough FC to keep it about 3 pmm for a day or two? Any ideas?

duraleigh Guest

Is there a non-stabilized option that will add FC without CYA?
    Absolutely. With your low calcium levels, you can use granular Cal Hypo on a daily basis.

Your test results appear very precise...that's good. I would suggest the use of Cal Hypo and test the Ca level about once per week....it'll slowly climb. There's a pretty wide range of acceptable Ca limits (somewhere around none to maybe 500) so, once the Ca tested about 300, I would stop and switch back to bleach. That may be all Summer in your pool.

Granular Cal Hypo is a good shock source as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjbj_h
    Thank you all for your replies. I bought a new sand filter that only ran on baquabeast for a 3 days. It was then drained and has ran on bleach since.
    So that sand was in during the conversion?

Folks please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the CL cause the BAQ to perciptate out of solution and get caught by the filter? That's why it's important to change sand *after* the conversion?

Robert

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Yes, that's my understanding too. If it were my pool I would change the sand again.....and I'll bet that your consumption will drop, too.

janet

+ Reply to Thread