+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't get pump to prime

Pamsel is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Pamsel 0

Default Can't get pump to prime

I did a dumb thing this morning. I backwashed my filter, then set to rinse(which I usually do for 10 seconds). I got called away while rinsing and completely forgot about it and left it on rinse for an hour. In the meantime, it drained enough water that the water level went below the skimmer and my pump lost its prime. I have added water back up to the proper level, but I can not get my pump to re-prime. I have closed the multi-port valve and the skimmer/drain valve, added water to the pump basket and let it run for over 5 minutes several different times, but it will not prime. Did I do some major damage? Any ideas as to what I need to do next? Thanks!
    Pam, Illinois

"17'x33' oval 14.5K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward Pro Series, M-S-244T sand filter; A.O. Smith Centurian, Switchless, 1.40 HP pump; Right now 24/7hrs; Pool Solutions PS234
    Serial #6511, Drops / Powder; Community well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:8.3"

Default Re: Can't get pump to prime

If I understand correctly, you closed the multi-port valve and the skimmer/drain valve?

Both these need to be open, as in normal pump/filter operation. In order for the pump to prime, it needs a water supply, which it pulls from the skimmer, and a place to send it, ie through your filter and back to the pool.

Interesting, Rangeball. That's what I normally do when I prime the pump, but I called the pool store and they told me I absolutely had to have all the valves closed or it would never prime, but would just drain water out of the pump basket into the lines.

I will go open the valves, fill the pump basket with water again and turn it back on and see what happens. The pool store is willing to make a service call in the morning to see if I damaged the impellar (?) or an O-ring in the valve, for a minimum charge of $50, plus parts and labor!

Uhg! I had to add fill water today and could not put it through the filter first and since we have a lot of iron in our water, my pool is now a lightly tinted green color ~ yellow water over blue liner = green! And the pool has been so perfectly clear and beautiful since I finally got the algae problem solved!
    Pam, Illinois

"17'x33' oval 14.5K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward Pro Series, M-S-244T sand filter; A.O. Smith Centurian, Switchless, 1.40 HP pump; Right now 24/7hrs; Pool Solutions PS234
    Serial #6511, Drops / Powder; Community well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:8.3"

Rangeball! I have added you to my list of "Pool Forum Heroes"! I followed your directions and within 60 seconds everything is working like a charm!

Why do I ever call the pool store?? I was afraid I may have damaged something by letting it suck air for so long this morning. Amazing that the guy there was so emphatic and even rather sarcastic that I could never get it primed if I had the valves open! I think I need to introduce him to this forum so he can find that he doesn't know what he's talking about!

Many thanks again. You saved me an expensive service call.
    Pam, Illinois

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Please don't introduce any pool store guy to our little forum, this is where we get away from them - the last thing we need is to weed out what some PSG said to do and tell you it's WRONG!!!
    To all teh PSG's allready giving good advice here, you're excluded from the above! (I know there are some, but they also know they're excluded)

You're welcome

+ Reply to Thread