+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using Bleach as daily chlorine

Default Using Bleach as daily chlorine

Have 1700 Gal Pop Up, used bleach and borax to start pool last week. Bought mini floater and broke a chlorine puck in half and put in floaty. HOwever the chlorine levels always show as 0 on the daily water test. If I add 2 cups of bleach, then I get the test results to show normal. Should I be using belach as my daily dose in place of the floaty. The conversion chart on this site did not say to use the bleach daily, rather as a starter or a shock.

Pl help? When do I add bleach, Borax, Baking Soda??

THX

jrv331 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jrv331 0

Default Re: Using Bleach as daily chlorine

Yes you can use bleach daily to maintain your chlorine level, many here do. Its best to add the bleach in the evening or early morning before the sun comes out. The sun destroys it. You can add the borax any time, its best not to add them at the same time though. Use Boras for raising PG and Baking Soda or raising Alk.
    Good Luck
    John

Thanks,

But how much bleach shoudl I add daily, and how coome the chlorine 3"puck is not keeping the pool at the daily level??

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

i really do question the value of pucks myself..i always have one in the system, but i think it is only really effective as a chlorinator when conditions are optimum (pool is not really hot, no sun, no wind that all thieves away chlorine) case in point..i put in bleach on sunday...it was good until yesterday and we've had 3 very hot days in a row..yesterday..0 level on the taylor test kit for chlorine..even with a puck in the skimmer and good circulation..one more reason i'm converting to a chlorine generator..just pissing away money on pucks..

Not an expert by any means but I've read alot on this site.

Without knowing if you have any CYA (I'm assuming you don't) in your pool you would put between 1 and 1.5 cup per day to raise your Cl level to 2 -3 ppm if your level is dropped to 0 everyday by the sun and organics. Ideally you should always have between 1-3 ppm of Free Cl at 0 CYA to maintain proper sanitation.

Get the BleachCalc.exe enter your 1700g and desired cl ppm increase and the program will give you the amount of bleach needed.

+ Reply to Thread