+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm considering a solar heater in the midwest (Chicago burb area). Will this work?

Default I'm considering a solar heater in the midwest (Chicago burb area). Will this work?

Hi guys and gals,

I'm so confused on what decision to make regarding a heater for my 24' round above ground. I've read every thread that the keyword "heater" gave me. The information I read in these threads has certainly helped me to question my initial impulse of wanting to go with a natural gas heater.

Just today I had a guy come out to give me an estimate to run the gas line from my meter to my pool. The price was around $450.00. After he left I began to look up the cost of 150,000BTU gas heaters. I waslooking at a price between $1,100 - $1,700.

Then I came here (as I always do) and decided to do some reading on heaters. Initially I was looking for information that would recommend a certain brand...and then about operating costs for a gas heater. But after reading for a bit...I decided to start visiting those "solar panel" threads that I had been avoiding. The main goal I have for a heater is to raise the water temperature from (a now 80f) to mid 80's.

It has certainly led me to rethink the whole gas heater situation. But...

Could solar heaters really be for me? I live in Joliet, Ill (a southern burb of Chicago)

We don't have a large yard...but could probably fit 1 4'x20' panel in full sun. Would one panel be enough to be effective on a 24' pool in the upper midwest?

I could deal with the fact that I wouldn't have a heater if it were a cloudy day. But will I find the solar heater to work under most conditions (in the midwest) when I'd want to swim.

Would a unit such as the SolarBear do the trick...or are there other things to consider when looking at a one panel system. (it's a 4'x 20' panel with built in diverter).

thanks for the help!
    dan
    Last edited by gonefishin; 07-06-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Default Re: I'm considering a solar heater in the midwest (Chicago burb area). Will this work?

I've recently read
    *To achieve total solar heating, the panel square footage must equal 50% of your pool's square footage (length x width).

is there any truth to this? Could I be done with solar before I start...oh no!

thanks,
    dan
    Last edited by gonefishin; 07-06-2006 at 01:11 AM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: I'm considering a solar heater in the midwest (Chicago burb area). Will this work?

Dan,
    Those numbers about 50% of the pool area etc are almost meaningless in my opinion, because there are too many variables including user expectations. What I can say is with my 4x20' Fafco mat I've measured the heat output in the range of 20,000 BTU/Hr in Northeast PA. Again, this is highly variable and dependant on sun, sun angle, air temp, wind velocity, water temp and flow rate etc. Anyhow, your 24' pool has about 100,000 pounds of water give or take. 1 BTU raises 1 pound of water 1 deg F. So, at 20,000 BTU/Hr you can get an additional rise of 1 degree in 5 hours. Doesn't sound like much but it's free. I would also consider diverting only part of the pump flow to the solar if there is an easy and visually acceptable way of dumping the solar output right into the pool. I have two heaters that dump via two hoses under the diving board. Keeps maximum flow on the system and I maintain about 10-15 gallons per minute through each heater. There is really no need to ram the entire pump output through these things although that's the way most people configure them.
    Hope this helps.
    Al

poolbuoy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst poolbuoy 0

I have a 18x33 AG and use two 4x20' collectors. brings it up about 5 degrees by the end of the day here in central MA.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: I'm considering a solar heater in the midwest (Chicago burb area). Will this wor

Ontario, Canada
    30' round, I use 2 at 2x20 feet, only 1/3 of what was recommended and on average we're 5-10 degrees warmer than all the others around town without any heat.
    Last year, we were swimming a month before all others, a month longer and in mid summer I had to bypass because the pool got to be 95 degrees on full sun days. This year, I was doing a lot of landscaping and some plumbing work and didn't get them hooked in til a couple of weeks ago, since then, we're about 7 degrees warmer than the neighbour's.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: I'm considering a solar heater in the midwest (Chicago burb area). Will this wor

We have 18x33x52" and use 3 of the 2x20s - our pool at covering time 7:30pm last night was 87 degrees. We are as of this morning on the diverter because we do not want it any warmer. Like Matt, we ended up with a pool in the 90s last summer (one 2x20 panel on our old pool, an 18' round) and that is not refreshing. We are in FAR NW Minnesota - usually referred to as "The Nation's Icebox" - we would not be without our solar panels.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Hi all,

I've been working quite a bit lately...sorry for not responding right away. I just wanted to tell everyone who offered advice thank you. I decided to hold off on the gas heater (and line) and bought a SolarBear 4'x20' solar kit.

I can't wait to give it a try

thanks,
    dan

+ Reply to Thread