+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: skimmer basket

cinbia12 Guest

Question skimmer basket

This probably sounds stupid but when our pool was installed they asked if we wanted the skimmer through the wall or over the top. Dear DH thought over the top. Well we constantly lose prime, it doesn't suck right and the pool store told us we were asking for trouble to change. Is there a better over the top model than the stupid thing we have? Thanks

Default Re: skimmer basket

I have not seen an over the wall skimmer in over ten years. I did not know they still made them. There is one positive aspect to them. You can have more water in the pool than with a thru the wall.

As for the prime, try this. Before you turn the pump on loosen the lid to the hair and lint pot. It should fill with water, then turn the pump on. It should start right up.

I am surprised by the advice the pool store gave you but changing to a thru the wall is really not that hard.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

cinbia12 Guest

Thanks Dennis, is it something we could do ourselves or would we be better off having someone else do it? The problem with the over the wall is that we lose prime when it gets bumped by wind or if the kids are splashing around too much.

Hi, I understand your problem.

It is hard to advice if you should do it yourself or hire out. If you could find someone that new how to do it correctly, and did not charge an arm and a leg it would probably be worthwhile.

If you are handy with tools I could walk you through the whole process with no problem. It is not much more than drilling a few holes. That is assuming the thru the wall knockouts that came in the wall are not near the filter area. If they are it's a piece of cake.

Let me know if you need a step by step. Not a problem.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Yes, changing to a through the wall skimmer is as easy as cutting a hole, however, due to having to lower your water level, I would wait until you are ready to close this year or ready to open it up again next year. I would actually wait until next spring, this way, your water level is allready low enough, you'd need to fill anyways, you can then do any leak troubleshooting immediately instead of letting it all winter before you refill your pool.
    If the pool company used the return hole that came with the pool, I would hazzard to guess that the knockout is close enough to the equipment in order to be used.
    I have absolutely no idea why the pool store would tell you you're asking for trouble changing the skimmer.....

cinbia12 Guest

Question Re: skimmer basket

They didn't even use the return hole, that also goes over the top.But I think I know where they are, under the deck. So maybe my 10 year old granddaughter is good with tools. The pump isn[t to far from that point. personally I think through the wall would be much easier. We've been fighting green for three weeks now. Dh thinks he got all the crap off the bottom today, so I'll cross my fingers.

cinbia12 Guest

Dennis or Matt- Is $100.00 a reasonable price to have it installed if we supply the skimmer? It's getting to the point that if we don't do something I'm about ready to throw in the towel. We've been keeping chlorine sky high and we've got everything else good (according to the pool store) but no matter what we do the green isn't going. I'm assuming that switching to thru the wall, more water will be going through the filter and won't just becoming from the side. Good news though it's not under the deck. Right beside the filter.
    Thanks

Hi, a hundred is a fair price. This eve I will post some diy instructions that might help also.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

$100 doesn't sound too bad, it's about a 2 hr job at most, easily undertaken yourself, but if you don't mind parting with the money and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, it's definitely not robbery.
    Personally, I would do it myself, but then again, I pretty much do everything I possibly can myself, just the way it is. Leaves me with more play money that way!

cinbia12 Guest

The only thing i worry about is that the liner is about 5 years old. Is it going to be too brittle

+ Reply to Thread