How much suction should I see at the skimmers? I have two, with a 2hp pentair whisperflow pump. I have this new problem with unknown bugs (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...?t=1376&page=2) that I posted over in the critters forum. These bugs are tiny and they float on top of the water in the skimmer. They don't seem to get sucked down. Should the skimmer suction be sufficient enough to suck anything down that's floating on top? I almost expect to see a whirl pool in there, but I don't see anything that dramatic.

Right now, I have the main drains turned off, so all suction is coming from the two skimmers. Btw, my pool is full right now as we just had a week's worth of rain. But it has drained through the overflow so it's right at max full.

On normal days, with even the slightest wind, debris can float by the skimmer without getting pulled in. Should I be seeing a strong current going into the skimmer, or is that wishful thinking?

Also, I was thinking about downsizing my pump, or getting a 2-speed, because of high electric bills. But my assumption now is that that would decrease my skimmer suction even more.

Thanks,
Robert