+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is my pump too big for my filter?

AndieP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst AndieP 0

Default Is my pump too big for my filter?

I've been lurking and reading through all the posts on this site for a couple of weeks. This is our 3rd season with a pool and I am just now able to try to really learn about pool care (1st season bedrest pregnant with twins...2nd season caring for infant twins and 2 other kids ).

So I am converting to BBB from Pristine Blue and trying to find a leak also. After reading lots of threads I think I'm on information overload and now I'm concerned that our pump is too big for our filter. (I have no idea about this stuff but I know there are many here that do.)

We have a Triton Pac Fab T-60 Sand filter. I have no idea how old it is but probably at least 15 years old. We replaced the sand 2 years ago. Flow Rate 60GPM, Maximum pressure 50psi.

Last year we had the pump replaced. They installed a Sta-Rite, Dyna-Glass 1 1/2 horsepower. We just went with whatever the pool place recommended since we knew near nothing about pools.

Our old pump psi ran about 10-12. The new pump typically runs at 20-22 psi and we backwash when it gets to about 30 psi. Is this OK? We have a leak we can't find....could this increased pressure caused a leak somewhere?

23,000 gallon, concrete/plaster pool.....with one skimmer, one return jet, and no main drain.

Thanks so much!
    Andrea

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: Is my pump too big for my filter?

Almost assuredly, the pump is too big. It would probably like to push well over 100 gpm thru a filter rated to only accept 60gpm. That's why your operating psi has doubled.

Probably a 3/4hp dynaglas would've been close to perfect.

AndieP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst AndieP 0

That's what I was afraid of

So do we need to do anything about it? Is it damaging to the pump or filter? Is there any way that this leak we now have could be related to the pump being to big or is there no way to know until we find the leak?

Thanks! (I wish I had found this site 2 years ago)

duraleigh Guest

Well, no really easy fix without spending some bucks. If your water looks good and there's no sand in your pool, I'd leave it alone. You're burning a little extra electricity but it would probably take a very long time to break even (years) if you purchased a new pump

If your filter ever dies, replace it with a bigger (100+gpm) one.

I don't think it is related to your leak.

Andie,

You can downsize the pump impeller to a 1 hp impeller and that will reduce your flow rate somewhat. It's cheaper than a new pump.

Does the pool still leak if you leave the pump off for two or three days (make sure you have enough chlorine in the pool first if you choose to try this)? If so, you've got either a structure leak or a below grade plumbing leak. A leak that occurs only when the pump is on, is usually a pressure side (after the pump) leak.
    A pressure side leak will usually be identified by an unusual wet spot around your equipment pad. A below grade leak may be identified by an unusual wet or damp area around the pool itself.
    There are leak detecting dyes you can use around typical leakage areas such as your pool light, return fitting, or skimmer. With the pump off, squirt the dye at these locations and observe. A leak will suck the dye into the spot where the leak is.
    If it's a smaller leak, there are liquid leak solutions that you pour into your skimmer and it will plug up small leaks. LoChlor or Seaklear Leak Sealer are examples of these.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread