Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter

Default Re: Adding DE to sand filter

Does this work with Zeolite sand also?? I have a cloudy pool trying to clear up, my neighbor gave me some DE and I want to try it, but don't know if I should...
    18' round AG Money Pit( till I found this place!)

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

PoolMom,
    I've been running with some DE in my zeo-something filled sand filter for the better part of a year now with no ill effects. That's the good news. The bad news is that I see little if any positive effect from adding the DE. My water is very, very clear, but at night I still have visible particles in the light field, with or without DE in the filter.

I will say that I get a faster pressure rise in the filter when I have DE in it. It's obviously catching more stuff, but it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in the visible water quality.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Raddish,
    Since you have a 2 speed pump, given a choice, I'd try adding the DE while on low speed. You want it to form an even layer on the top part of the sand and it seems to take a while to layer the sand. The 15-20 minutes mentioned. Also, haven't seen it mentioned so far in this thread, but you should pre-mix the DE in a few gallons of water and pour it in the skimmer slowly. I even think they say this on the DE package.
    Al

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos
    but you should pre-mix the DE in a few gallons of water and pour it in the skimmer slowly. I even think they say this on the DE package.
    Al
    oops.

Also try skimmer socks in your skimmer. They catch an amazing amount of crud that's very, very fine, like skin oils and pollen and such.
    Carl

Yeah, I've been using skimmer socks for quite a while now, and I am a huge advocate of them.

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

A neighbor of mine says he uses old pantyhose / stockings in place of the $7.00 skimmer sox. Do you think thats a good idea? (I am curious to ask him what he did with them before they were 'old' pantyhose.... )

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    oops.
    Ditto that!!!
    18' round AG Money Pit( till I found this place!)

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos
    but you should pre-mix the DE in a few gallons of water and pour it in the skimmer slowly. I even think they say this on the DE package.
    Al
    It does say that, at least on the DE I have. It tells you to mix it with water to make a milk like solution. Or something like that, I am not reading the package, just going from what I remember.
    ~Dr. Spike

Pool: IG vinyl, heated, fully enclosed (dome)
    Shape: Grecian (rectangular)
    Size: 20'W x 40'L
    Depth: 4' / 8'
    Filter: Sand w/DE added
    Other: 6' Diving Board
    Maintenance: BBB! Ben's PS234 kit! Manual vacuum, brush, and Pool Buster Max CG Gold

I add it straight to the skimmer and figure it's nice and it's always nice and milky by the time it hits the filter

Added DE to my sand filter. Only problem is that it decreases the flow through the filter, so the waterfall from my diving board has less water flowing and sometimes the heater and SWG will shut off due to lack of flow. I am using less DE now than when I first tried it... but even a small cup of DE raises filter pressure by at least 2 psi and I can't imagine that small amount is really doing much inside the filter.

The positive for sure is that if I use some DE before I vacuum then I know it's catching the dirt instead of shooting it back into the pool, which is what sand alone will do. Then I backwash after vacuuming and add less DE for normal pump operation.

Closed Thread