+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low calcium levels, plasticizers in vinyl liners, leaching cobalt from fibergalss?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Question Low calcium levels, plasticizers in vinyl liners, leaching cobalt from fibergalss?

I was speaking with someone at the local Ace Hardware pool department today who was very inpressed with my knowledge of pool chemsitry and equipement. (In fact he turned out to be the regional pool dept. coordinator and offered me a job! Might take him up on it since I work in education and am basically unemployed every summer!) I have to give credit to this forum for a good part of my knowledge.
    Anyway, we were discussing water balance and he said that some research has been done by a company called WaterTeq Water Technolgies Inc. which showed that low calcium levels in vinyl pools could cause a leaching of the plasticizer out of the liner and shorten its life and that in fiberglass pools it leaches the cobalt out of the fiberglass. He gave me a printed handout of several pages and other than these statement it is all sound pool chemistry, no bs or double talk, and very straigtforward. I could find no listings for this company on the net to research this. I did ask what this company did and he said that they manufactured pool chemicals. I saw no chemicals of this brand at the store.
    Does anyone on here know anything about this or know where I can look to research this further? I am now on a quest for the truth! It is plausable that this can happen given the reactivity of sodium and potassium ions (monovalant) in solution vs. calcium and magnesium ions (divalent).
    anyone?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Post your references. Sounds like the latest come-on to get A/G pool owners to buy calcium. I think it's probably garbage...You'd have to compare long-term pool usage of pools that have low calcium and those with high calcium. It would have to be over years and years, and a controlled study.

A study might be: recruit 500 homeowners around the country. Install new vinyl liners for all of them, then have half run with low calcium levels (what would that be? Below 100ppm?) and check their water weekly to ensure they were on-track. Have the other half run high levels--say 400ppm. Check 100 liners after 5 years (50 of each), 100 liners after 7 years, 10 years, 12 years, and 15 years.

With a protocol like that I would be less skeptical than I am now.

(this is how many clinical drug trial protocols are set up--that's how I know).
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Like I said it was just several photocopied pages on waterchemistry with their logo at the top. Could not find them on the net and any references to plasticizers leaching out of vinyl liners that I found usually blamed acidic water conditions.
    I did find one reference on the net about fiiberglass in general on how soft water could have an effect on the glass (same as it can etch glassware that is washed in a dishwasher) but could not find anything specifically about cobalt other than it can leach out of the gelcoat but no conditions were specified. It is just that this is the first time that I have ever heard this and I was wondering if anyone else has ever came across it or is it just another load of bovine refuse.
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-09-2006 at 08:38 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

WB:
    No attack at you intended but at the folks pushing this...They never seem to have any substantial evidence to support it.
    Carl

waterbear,

I'm an avid boater, all have been fiberglass, never added/checked calcium levels in the lake, and current boat is 17 years old and still solid . Therefore, I would tend to lean towards "load of bovine refuse". But that's just me. I've been "pool stored" (as Carl would say) one too many times. I would however believe the etching part but only under high pressure, like in a dishwasher so as far as "our" fiberglass pools, I think we're OK.

Thangs guys! I was tending to that direction myself but this is the first "pool store guy" that I have come across that really seemd to have a handle on the chemistry and was not just spouting Maufacturer's rhetoric. He even acknowled that laundry bleach is just as effective as liquid chlorine and he stated that borax was better than soda ash for pH control since it won't raise carbonate alkalinity! The handout that he gave me had someithing similar to Ben's "best guess chart" for CYA and FC. That is why I questioned what he said on here concering calcium in the first place! Almost everything he said was good info.
    I've spent about 9 hours researching on the 'net' and have found nothing to back it up. If anyone ever comes across anything about this one way or the other I would be interested in hearing about it.

Dave reminded me: Etching in the dishwasher not only takes place at high pressure, but at very high temperature as well and that usually makes most chemicals more reactive.
    Carl

I just found some info on the San Juan Fiberglass pool website that is interesting concerning this topic. I own a San Juan Cocoa Beach model. Their maintenance manual (downloadable from their website) states:
    "Calcium Hardness (C.H.) is the relative hardness of your pool water, and is measured in P.P.M. If the water is too soft, it will be aggressive and erode pool equipment such as heaters, ladders and even the gel coat finish. If the water is too hard, deposits will form on the pool equipment and finish. 300 to 350 P.P.M. is the proper hardness for your San Juan Pool and should be checked monthly."
    One of the largest manufactuers of fiberglass pools recommends CH levels of 300 to 350 ppm to help protect the gelcoat if I read that properly. The maintenance manual also recommends ALK between 70-80 ppm. I am going to check the other major fiberglass manufacturer's sites to see if they say anything similar.
    Edit: Just checked Royal Fiberglass pools and downloaded their care manual. It recommends CH between 200-400 ppm and states that low Ch levels can cause "Distorsion of pool finish" and "Premature aging and shorter life expectancy of the gelcoat finish"
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-11-2006 at 07:41 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Anyway, we were discussing water balance and he said that some research has been done by a company called WaterTeq Water Technolgies Inc. which showed that low calcium levels in vinyl pools could cause a leaching of the plasticizer out of the liner and shorten its life and that in fiberglass pools it leaches the cobalt out of the fiberglass. He gave me a printed handout of several pages and other than these statement it is all sound pool chemistry, no bs or double talk, and very straigtforward. I could find no listings for this company on the net to research this?
    I've heard things like this, but when I've had the opportunity to ask engineers with one of the two big manufacturers of vinyl sheet, they were very skeptical and doubtful.

But . . . I'd be very grateful if you'd mail, scan and email, or fax me copies of this info. I'd love to read it carefully. If you can, PM me and let me know how you can send it, and I'll give you the info you need.

Thanks!

Ben

Waterbear,

Like you, I have a fiberglass pool and the manufacturer (local company that has been around 40+years) recommends hardness between 200 & 400. They also recommend FC between .5 and no greater than 2! If you read on, you'll see that they (both yours and mine) say things like "Do not use chlorine on indoor pools. The gases from chlorine in water are carcinogenic” or “Bromine is less caustic and aggressive than chlorine resulting in reduced eye and skin irritation. Bromine will not fade bathing suits or yellow blonde hair. Bromine’s gentle action will prolong the gel-coat pool finish and equipment. The primary advantage of chlorine is lower product cost” which leads me to believe they feel Bromine is the way to go and chlorine must yellow hair and irritate the eyes! The pamphlet my pool manufacturer furnished me with is almost identical to the one on San Juan’s website, typed and all! This leads me to believe that these companies get their recommendations from “generalized” published swimming pool data which we all know leaves a lot to be desired. There may or may not be truth in the hardness information, I’m not qualified enough to say. I am thinking that I will invest in some cal-hypo this year and get my CH up. After all, it won't hurt anything right? It does not however, change my skepticism of their recommendations since I know that much of the other info is misleading. I’m extremely interested to hear Ben’s take on Water Tech’s information.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread