+ Reply to Thread

Thread: copper and Salt Water Generator

Default copper and Salt Water Generator

I am preparing to install a salt water generator. I was told by my pool man that I cannot install a SWG with copper plumbing. All of my above ground plumbing is copper but below ground is PVC. I can dig down and change it all to PVC, but I would like to know if SWG systems should not be installed with copper plumbing in the system. I was also told that my stainless steel filter was a no no also. I Have purchased a new hayward "plastic" filter, so no problem there. I asked about the heater and they said that it was a "soft" copper so it would be okay.

Any advise or opinions?

Thanks,

Ken

Default Re: copper and Salt Water Generator

You're much better off with all PVC. Copper is less forgiving with high chlorine and salt levels and can result in erosion/corrosion of the copper. Most likely you'll see the effects in the solder joints first.
    I've done several Pool Pilot systems with older copper piped pools, without problems. Same with stainless steel filters, but stainless steel seems to be a little more durable.
    Not quite sure what "soft copper" is. A heater's heat exchanger is typically cupric nickle, a combination of copper and nickle to allow for more chemical resistance than just copper.
    My recommendation is to replace the copper with PVC. You'll have less problems down the road.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread