+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Default Re: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    There is a caution on the Mr. Clean website not to use the Magic Eraser with chlorine bleach. The MSDS
    http://www.pgbrands.com/pages/cleane...UK0DQFIAJ1E2UQ lists the indgredient it is made from as Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium Bisulfite Copolymer.
    Not sure what this might do in a pool. It also says to keep it away from oxidizing materials (such as chlorine?)

Also this link has some intersting info on how it works...seems it is simply an abrasive and can actually scratch surfaces.
    http://si-listserv.si.edu/cgi-bin/wa...0&F=&S=&P=1592
    Just for your info.
    Very good info!
    I just got off of the phone with P&G. I spoke with Erica in the home care division. I explained my concerns in regard to the chlorine in the pool. She stated that chlorine bleach caused the sponge to break down at "excessive rates" and they do not recommend using it with chlorine bleach for that reason. Erica also stated that they have not tested it for use in a swimming pool but would pass on the information. I asked if chlorine had anything to do with the hazardous decomposition of the sponge. Her response was that it only listed that chlorine would cause the sponge to deteriorate quickly.
    I would like an opinion from a Chemist though
    Joe
    27ft 17K gallon Polytech aluminum & stainless AG Pool / DE filter / Wedding Cake Steps

I would think it's probably a bad idea to use if you just shocked your pool as the sponge may dissolve very quickly. Keep in mind many people have tap water that is from 1.5 to 3 ppm chlorine at least mine is. So if it was a dangerous situation when combined with chlorinated water it would also be dangerous for use in the home using simple tap water.

R

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I would think that pool water being at 3 parts per MILLION isn't going to be a problem, doubt you'll get results anything close to the coke/mentos geyser!
    They likely mean a typical household cleaning mix of bleach and water which would likely bring the concentration up to 100-500 ppm - a BIG difference.

BTW - I will be trying this to clean that darker line left over from wintering this weekend, it is below teh water line, so it may be touch and go for me - wish me luck

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Sorry, my confusion. This is the one that I used and it is more of a rubber consistency. It is called Erase It. It basically rubs off the stain without damaging the plaster.

http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/...roductID=15266
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Don't worry about putting it in the pool water, the chlorine content as already stated is way too low to cause a problem. I have used it in the pool and there are no gas bubbles that come off of it and it works great. This is the best product ever made to clean the pool liner!

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

Cleancloths,

This is one of the best tips on this entire site. I too had a dirty water line. I tried an SOS pad, comet, bleach/water mixture, and plain bleach. I scrubbed and scrubbed with a scrub brush with no results. I read this and went out and bought 2 boxes of the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. The results? 2 words....A-MAZING!!!!!! I never knew just exactly how nasty my liner really was, as I was used to seeing it that way. Now my liner looks brand new and it is unbelievable. I didn't even have to scrub very hard, and this filth just disappeared. I used about 6 total on my 18 x 38 IG pool. I also cleaned around the steps with it and my skimmer box. I tested my FC before starting and it was 5.5 PPM. I didn't turn any funky colors by using it so I would agree that the minute PPM of chlorine in a pool won't hurt anything.

I would love to buy you a 6 pack of the beverage of your choosing for this thread. My pool looks 1,000 x better now, and it didn't take me 30 minutes. Kudos!

I have been using the Mr Clean sponges for over a year and have not had any problems with mixing it with the chlorine in the pool. After scrubbing with it for a while it does start to break down. But the results are amazing and it doesn't require alot of elbow grease.

MaryLee is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst MaryLee 0

Thumbs up Re: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Quote Originally Posted by VOLDADDY
    Cleancloths,

This is one of the best tips on this entire site. I too had a dirty water line. I tried an SOS pad, comet, bleach/water mixture, and plain bleach. I scrubbed and scrubbed with a scrub brush with no results. I read this and went out and bought 2 boxes of the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. The results? 2 words....A-MAZING!!!!!! I never knew just exactly how nasty my liner really was, as I was used to seeing it that way. Now my liner looks brand new and it is unbelievable. I didn't even have to scrub very hard, and this filth just disappeared.
    I wholeheartedly agree..I just tried this for the first time today. I also didn't realize how nasty my liner was until I used the eraser on it. I can't believe how brand spankin' new my pool looks now!! Thanks for the great tip!!
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    3 1/2' ft to 8' deep
    Pentair DE Filter
    400K BTU Pentair Minimax heater

I use the mr. clean magic eraser for everything! I love it.

However...just as an fyi..don't use it on your skin. Yeah, Yeah laugh all you want. I had a spray on tan that was wearing off unevenly so I used it to remove the tan. I was gently and didn't scrub hard or anything. I was so thrilled....for about 15 minutes. Then I felt like I had a full body rug burn.
    Not nice.

otherwise, these things rock! I think they are just white melamine foam.

+ Reply to Thread