+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baquacil to Chlorine Step by Step?

dijnick is offline ** No working email address ** dijnick 0

Default Baquacil to Chlorine Step by Step?

I am having cloudly water after 2 yrs on Baqucil Ultra. In-Ground Pool 16x38 Just found this site... What or where is the step-by-step procedure for changing to chlorine? Abount how long will it take? What is the approximate cost?

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: Baquacil to Chlorine Step by Step?

Read thru the PHMB forum. It has lots of good threads about conversion, time, and costs.

I just finished the conversion on Saturday. I now have crystal clear, beautiful, blue sparkling water.

It's very simple really, just a little time consuming.

Buy lots and lots of bleach. We used over 100 jugs to do our conversion on our 18X38 pool

Buy a good drop based test kit. I had the Wal-mart kit since my Leslie's were out of theirs and I didn't have time to order Ben's kit. Just means you'll have to dilute with distilled water to measure the higher levels of chlorine.

Keep your chlorine level at 15 ppm as much as you can. We were checking every two hours from 5:00 am till 11:30 pm.

It is amazing. My very skeptical hubby said to tell you that he is so happy. I mean seriously in the year that we had baquacrap - our pool never looked as beautiful as it does now.

We love it.

You will too!!

Check out the "Taking the Plunge thread".. that's my conversion thread.

Good luck
    18x38 AGP with 6.5 foot deep end

bcb1 is offline ** No working email address ** bcb1 0

We did ours a little differently from the recommended steps you'll see in the other posts - but the basic idea is exactly the same: add lots of chlorine to the pool, filter constantly, backwash often, vacuum the gunk to waste. Repeat. your water will go from a nasty yellow/brown, to green, to clear green, to crystal clear. If you have a low level of Baq, it should only take a couple days. If you have high levels of Baq, it might take several days.

Here's what we did:

Day one (evening): I used a laundry scoop (I suppose it holds about a cup) and I dumped in about 8 or 10 scoops of Cal-Hypo (commonly known as "shock"). Added about 3-4 pounds of CYA (Cyanuric Acid) granules by dumping them into a woman's nylon and tying it to the inground ladder. The water turned a nasty yellow color. Ran filter 24/7.

Day two (morning): Backwashed filter. Water already turning sort of clear green. Added several more scoops of Cal Hypo.

Day two (afternoon): Vacuumed the crap in the pool to waste. Then we disassembled the filter and changed the sand with new sand.

Day three: Water is almost completely clear! Continue to add a scoop of shock now and then, but basically the conversion only took 2 days for us.

I suspect ours went smoothly because we didn't have real high levels of Baquacil to begin with. And we changed the sand on day 2, so that probably helped as well.

I'm curious, what kind of pool do you have, how big is it? How did you know how much Cal-Hypo to add and how much CYA? It seems like it wasn't very difficult for you to convert. If you can let me know I will appreciate it!

+ Reply to Thread