+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I think we have a leak...maybe at the skimmmer?

AndieP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst AndieP 0

Default Re: I think we have a leak...maybe at the skimmmer?

The backwash water flows out of a pvc right at the pump...it is easy to see and there is no water leaking from there.

The water is about an inch below the little arrow on the skimmer (middle of skimmer) that indicates where the level should stay. I was about to convert to BBB from Pristine Blue so there is no chlorine in the water yet.....just minimal residual of Pristine Blue. Should I fill it back up to the skimmer line and get the bleach started and chemicals balanced and then worry with the leak or go ahead and let it drop all the way past the skimmer (another inch) then refill and start on the chemicals.

Sorry to keep asking so many questions....I feel like my head is spinning

probably be good to go ahead and get the chemicals right. you don't want to be in a big hurry.

AndieP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst AndieP 0

I went ahead and filled back up to the skimmer line and started the conversion process.

Ran the pump throughout the night and noted in 10 1/2 hrs we lost 1 3/4 inch of water....compared to 3/4 inch loss is 12 hrs with pump off.

Thanks for the information about the main drain...there is a place down there that looks like a drain but the previous owners keep telling us "there is no main drain" It sounded so weird to me but I'm such a rookie at all this pool stuff that I really haven't explored it anymore. There is no cover over the area but there is a drain cover in the pile of stuff they left over by the pump/filter. We will dive down and check it out as soon as we are done with the conversion process and the chlorine can drop a little.

I was thinking next I need to plug jet and skimmer and turn off pump and measure water loss then...does that sound right? Or do I even need to do this? I guess I should check out the main drain first.

Thanks for your continue help!
    Last edited by AndieP; 07-06-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Your instincts are correct. Plug those off and see what happens. I think you are probably about to find your problem. Go ahead and explore the missing drain also. Let me know

+ Reply to Thread