+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pebble/SWG pool - when can I add salt?

joelq is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst joelq 0

Default New pebble/SWG pool - when can I add salt?

When can one typically add salt to a pebble (Stonescapes) SWG pool? I have heard in the past that one couldn't add salt to a plaster pool right away. Does this apply to pebble pools as well?

And if I can't add salt right away, how would I chlorinate? The pool we're having built right now won't have an inline feeder.

Thanks!

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: New pebble/SWG pool - when can I add salt?

I am in the same position with a new Diamond Brite replastering of the pool.

The plasterer recommended not adding salt for at least a month, so I am doing it the old-fashioned way. Bleach, bleach, and more bleach, as well as the other chemicals.

I think that the majority of the leaching of the calcium carbonate off of the walls has to be completed before adding the salt.

Pat
    Last edited by PatL34; 07-05-2006 at 04:47 PM.
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

Having dealt with SCG since 1986, you should not have any problems with adding the salt right away, with the important factor of dissolving the salt quickly and not allowing it to sit on the plaster finish.
    Turn your pump on, open your bottom main drain and add the salt to the deep end, over the main drain. Brush the salt to dissolve it.
    Granular salt will dissolve the quickest. Pellet or flake salt will take longer to dissolve but have less stain causing ingredients than the granular salt.

NOW, the only time I recommend to wait is if the plaster manufacturer has any statements in their warranty that voids it if the salt is added sooner than their recommend wait time.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

p.p.h. is offline ** No working email address ** p.p.h. 0

Per my pebbletec warranty card. Adding salt to the pool within the 1st 30 days will void the warranty. Apparenty they want the finish to cure completely before adding salt to the water.

Well actually its more along the line of being able to discern whether pool surface problems are as a result of the plaster or other "things" added to the pool. The pool industry has had years of pool mottling problems, way before salt systems. This waiting period avoids putting the blame on anything else.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread