+ Reply to Thread

Thread: algae or metal??

Default algae or metal??

I have written in a few times with questions about our above ground pool. We were finally looking like we were winning our battle with algae, then notice a few leaks, got frustrated with torential downpours washing dirt under the pool and into the pool and started over once the rain went away. We patched the leaks, put foam sheets under the pool (intex type), and started refilling. While filling we ran the water from the hose to a household sediment filtration unit then to the pool. We did this because we have well water and knew metals would be a problem. We decided to go ahead with the chemicals before it got completely full. We used shock plus from the pool store and notice a foamy look floating on it almost immediately. Within 15 min. our blue pool was green. My husband has gone to the store now for lots of bleach. My question is, does this sound like algae or metal. There does not seem to be anything sitting on the bottom of the pool but our "wanda the whale" vacuum had been running since water got above the intake part of the pump system. We are very frustrated and would appreciate any help possible. If this has already been addressed could you let me know the thread?

Thanks,
    Alicia

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: algae or metal??

If the pool turned green within minutes of shocking it I would suspect metals. Only having the water tested for metals will really tell you. You can add a dose of sequesterant according to directions on the bottle (I have used both Jack's Magic and Proteam Metal Magic with good results). If it is metals the color should disappear quickly...usually within 24 hours.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: algae or metal??

Thanks, we were afraid of that more than algae. We will have to see if we can find some of the Jack's Magic.

I have not heard about anyone using the Aqua-chem chemicals (for the chemicals that may be needed with the BBB method). Are they inferior to other brands? If so which are the better ones to use.

Alicia

+ Reply to Thread