Closed Thread

Thread: I'd Like to Convert My Filtration to a Sand Filter

Default I'd Like to Convert My Filtration to a Sand Filter

My pool was designed and manufactured by Utopia Pools, a French company who, unfortunately, no longer does business in the U.S.

It features a unique arrangement for intake, filtration, and return.

There is one rectangular skimmer intake and one return. The water is sucked in through the skimmer and through dual cylinders (labled "filters") that contain two removable cloth filter bags. Filtered water is pulled by the pump and sent back into the pool by one return nozzle which is immediately adjacent to the skimmer inlet, about a foot away.

Its a fairly compact unit, but it has presented problems. Problem number 1 is that the motor compartment tended to flood after a heavy rain and ruin the motor. My soil is the worst kind of clay and water percolation is non-existent. The original motor was replaced with a more tradional 1.5 H.P. pool pump motor mounted above ground. No more problems with the motor now.

Problem number 2 has to do with cleaning the filters. The old man (me) has to get down on his hands and knees and pull the cloth bags (which can be kinda heavy) from below the water line out of the retainer cylinders for cleaning. Cleaning involves turning the bags insideout (an unappealing operation), hosing them down, and running them through our washing machine.

When I heard that all you had to do to clean a sand filter was to turn a valve, I decided, "that's for me." However, when I asked a local pool builder to look at my setup and give me a price to bypass my filter bags with a sand filter all I got was discouragement. He said that in order for a sand filtration unit to work properly, he would have to add a second skimmer and return since I only have one of each. Of course this would be prohibitavely expensive.

I need a second opinion from some other experts. I can't see why a sand filter unit couldn't be plumbed into the system via the suction line. I'd just take out the filter bags and leave the cylinders in place.

As far as having only one skimmer and one return, I'm not aware of any problems this feature has caused in the six seasons I've had this pool.

I'd sure appreciate some advice.

-Jim
    Jim
    16' x 32' / 15,400 gal / IG vinyl
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: I'd Like to Convert My Filtration to a Sand Filter

Jim,
    Never heard of a filter being plumbed on the suction side. But, since you have the pump external, why not just plumb it in on the pressure side? You're going to have to backwash eventually and this is the only way you can do that.
    Al

Al, shows you what I know. This the only pool I've ever owned and I don't have a clue about how a conventional system with a sand filter works.

So, is there anything inherently limiting about my one filter / one return system?

You're saying that a sand filter could be plumbed into the return line, right? If it were plumbed into the suction side all the junk would have to be pushed into the pump and to the return when back washing. Plumbiing on the return side, a valve would divert the backwash to waste, right?

Do you think such a modification would suffer some efficiancy over a conventional system that is designed for a sand filter?

-Jim
    Jim
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

I'm a new (to me) pool owner and my pool is the same size as yours, and it has only one skimmer, but two returns, plus the one for the Polaris 180 cleaner. It seems to me that you will need to remove everything you have and use the skimmer opening only for a new conventional skimmer. Then plumb that back to the new location for the conventional pump and sand filter. A second return line would be better, on the opposite side of the pool and away from the skimmer. It's a can of worms for sure, so maybe a younger pool boy/girl would be better?

Aquarium, they don't come any younger than me around here. Besides, I work cheap.

Still looking for suggestions and/or opinions ... please.

-Jim
    Jim
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Jim,
    Configuration should be.... skimmer --> pump --> filter --> other things like heaters, chlorinators etc --> return to pool.
    Not sure about your comment

"You're saying that a sand filter could be plumbed into the return line, right? If it were plumbed into the suction side all the junk would have to be pushed into the pump and to the return when back washing."

If the filter was on the suction side there is no way to backwash.

As for the 1 skimmer and 1 return, not ideal but will certainly work. I'd aim the return jet off to the side and away from the skimmer to get better circulation.
    Al

Hi Al.

Please forget what I said about installing a sand filter on the suction side. Never having had a regular filtration setup, I have absolutely no understanding of what path the water takes when pumped through them.

"As for the 1 skimmer and 1 return, not ideal but will certainly work."

This is kinda what I wanted to hear, except for "not ideal." Do you mean that a sand filter properly installed in my system might not be as efficient as my exsisting arrangement?

Thanks for the advice.

-Jim
    Jim
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

Not at all. What I meant by the 'not ideal' comment referred to circulation. Having the return jet and skimmer on the same side and close to each other is not ideal. I would just aim the return jet away from the skimmer, toward the side, to get the best circulation in the pool as possible. You'll be OK. Go for it.
    Al

Thanks buddy. I now have some confidence.

-Jim
    Jim
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

Closed Thread