+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to chlorinate?

SecondMonkey is offline ** No working email address ** SecondMonkey 0

Default How to chlorinate?

I just bought a 4,000 gallon above ground pool to replace a smaller one. My old one had a place in the pump to put 1" chlorine tabs. The new pump has no such place and the manual doesn't mention chlorine anywhere. How should I chlorinate this pool? Can I just drop a chlorine tab into the new filter even though there isn't really a place for one?

Default Re: How to chlorinate?

You can buy an automatic chlorinator that goes in the return line,
    You can also just put tablets in the skimmer basket. Have been told that this can shorten the life of the basket, but for a couple bucks to replace them I don't see this as a problem.
    You can get a floating dispenser.
    Or You can read more on this site and go to liquid bleach.
    Hope this helps, ood luck.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by virangos
    You can buy an automatic chlorinator that goes in the return line,
    expensive, unnecessary, and stay away from the Hayward ones! Rainbow (pentair) are probably the best ones out there
    You can also just put tablets in the skimmer basket. Have been told that this can shorten the life of the basket, but for a couple bucks to replace them I don't see this as a problem.
    This will do more than shorten the life of the skimmer basket. Trichlor has a pH of 2 and putting tablets in the skimmer is about the same as pouring acid in the skimmer. If you have a cartridge filter this can ruin the cartridge and it's none to good for the seals in your pump either!

You can get a floating dispenser.
    A good economical choice
    Or You can read more on this site and go to liquid bleach.
    Best choice, IMHO, short of installing a SWG!
    Hope this helps, ood luck.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-03-2006 at 01:46 AM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thumbs up Re: How to chlorinate?

Waterbear
    I didn't know that about the Ph of the Trichlor and I don't have a cartridge filter so I didn't know that either. Thanks.
    Personnaly I use the floty to supplement the bleach when the pool isn't being used to hard.

SecondMonkey is offline ** No working email address ** SecondMonkey 0

If the chlorine is so bad for everything why didn't it hurt my old pump? It had a place to put tablets right inside the filter. I even used the same filter for 3 years with intermittent use!

I might be able to get some 3" chlorine tablets for almost free. Do they make a floating dispenser that uses tablets that big?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by SecondMonkey
    If the chlorine is so bad for everything why didn't it hurt my old pump? It had a place to put tablets right inside the filter. I even used the same filter for 3 years with intermittent use!
    It sounds like you had an inline chlorinator. they are plumbed after the pump and filter proper!
    I might be able to get some 3" chlorine tablets for almost free. Do they make a floating dispenser that uses tablets that big?
    3" is the standard size of trichlor tabs. Floaters come in 3" and 1" sizes. the 1" ones are usually used with bromine tabs. The main difference between the 1" and 3" trichlor tabs is the 1" tabs will dissolve much faster. Most people use the 3" tabs. However, the vast majority of people on this forum use plain old laundry bleach for chlorination. This is less expensive and has few problems with overstabilization of the water!
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-03-2006 at 08:52 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread