+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skimmer leaking after installed

Default Skimmer leaking after installed

We finally got our water level to just below the skimmer. We shut off the water, and installed the skimmer and aqualuminator. While my DH was working on the electric, the water level finally reached the skimmer and we noticed a trickle of water running down the outside of the pool from the skimmer. Not sure what we did wrong as everything seems like it's tight fitting, but we will have to take it apart and re-do it. I know this is a dumb question, but we don't even know how to drain the water out. What is the best way? We only need to lose a couple inches if that. Thanks!

Default Re: Skimmer leaking after installed

Hi, To drain a pool just stick the garden hose in the pool. Turn it on at the tap and let it run for a minute. Turn it off and disconnect hose from tap. The water should run backward and out the hose.

I would however try to do the repairs with the water where it is. That way you will know when it is fixed.

Try tightening the screws first. If that does not work try removing all but the top row of screws. Loosen the top but do not remove. Realign the gaskets and start putting your screws back in.

That's what works for me anyway. Good luck, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

Thanks Dennis! DH used silicone (I know it's a cop-out) but it seems to have worked. Now we are noticing a very slight and slow leak from the filter where the top and bottom come together. We tightened the clamp as tight as it would go but there is still a small amount of water trickling down. At this point we are letting it go because we have GOT to get this system running since our water has been sitting in there for almost a week with no filtration and/or chemicals. Today we put in 1 cup of muriatic acid and ran the return on top of the water to aerate. About an hour later, we shocked it and kept the pump/filter running from 12pm - 8pm. This afternoon we added 1 more cup of acid because neither the PH or the alkalinity dropped much after the first attempt. Still a work in progress, but tonight we got the solar on for the first time hoping to raise our temp a bit from the cold 70 degrees it is now.

I am so happy for you. You are well on you way. Any comments regarding chemicals I will leave to others. As for silicone, I would do the same on my own pool or that of close friends, just not on a customers pool. You do need to make sure you have sealed the gap between the face plate and the wall. I would run a bead around the sandwitch point of the faceplate, wall and skimmer. You need to prevent water leaking between wall and liner as well as water leaking on the outside of the pool. This will also help with any rust issues around the skimmer area down the road.

Enjoy, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Slight leak on filter may actually be coming from a hose connection, look VERY carefully, I recently thought I had the same issue - ended up being a hose connection....
    Any leak that just drips once every 30 seconds or so on a pipe is really not a problem - if you imagine how many drips are in your pool, it would take a lifetime to empty the pool!
    Many times, the drips like that end up coming to a stop after a while since the minerals in the water will eventually block the tiny opening.

On my filter, I had to loosen the bolts that hold down the motor and loosten and re-tighten the connection btw the motor/pump and the filter housing because they were cocked a little. Once I got the pump/filter connection re-tightened, I tightened the motor back down. I could see where the motor moved a inch or so.

+ Reply to Thread