+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bleach same as Chlorine

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Bleach same as Chlorine

Bleach does not raise my ph either.

Bleach does raise pH in my pool, enough so that I add acid weekly.

For the previous 9 years (of high CYA using stabilized chlorine) I've never needed to add anything to maintain pH in the 7.2 range.

Adding some acid isn't a big deal considering how much better the pool looks on the BBB routine, but I'm interested in what could be the reason for some of us seeing a steady upward creep in pH while others don't.
    12,000 gallon Hawaiian Fiberglass
    CFR 100 Jacuzzi Cartridge

If bleach does not raise your pH, then you must be adding acid from something. Usually trichlor pucks is the answer. Or frequent rains. Or you are losing alkalinity (bicarb) due to a waterfall or aeration.

Hal

Carl, Watermom...interesting responses. Can we follow this out to see what may be causing your particular pools to not need alot of acid with the use of bleach? It is fact that bleach is high in pH and typically require the addition of acid when you add bleach.
    Do you both have automatic water fill lines? Vinyl liners or gunite pools? Indoor or outdoor pools?
    Where do you keep your chemical parameters?
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

There have also been some posts of people with SWGs that have constant pH. If my memory serves me correctly they all had vinyl pools. I know Carl has a vinyl pool, don't know about Watermom. I wonder if there is something leaching from the vinyl that is lowering the pH. My fiberglass pool with a SWG needs constand additions of acid to keep the pH down (as is expected)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I think this is a fascinating discussion, but since it's getting technical, I'm going to move it to the China Shop.

I generally add about a gallon of regular bleach every two days--to 19,200 gallons. We've had a lot of rain lately (unless you are a hermit you know that NJ and NY have been HAMMERED with rain) and that tends to be acid.

OK: so before we get to the esoteric let's look at some obvious factors:
    1) Amount of bleach to pool volume. I add 1 gallon to 19,200 every other day...dilution alone explains a lot of it.
    2)Powders dissolve rather than dilute--is that a factor?
    3) Total Alkalinity---let's remember this is SUPPOSED to keep your pH from moving. Usually, mine is in the safe-for-vinyl/unsafe-for-concrete range 140-160. This year I'm only running 80-90 (too lazy to add baking soda) and the pH has moved more than it does, but not so much that I'm concerned. I don't care if pH moves between 7.3 and 7.6 and down again as long as it's in that range.
    4) Acid rain. Doesn't take much to lower pH.

That's all I can think of this morning....
    Carl

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Just throwing my short lived BBB experience out there. I've not had an issue with high PH in my pool this season (new pool) and I'm strictly on the BBB method. Even when I had the algae issue earlier this season and added 10-15 gallons of bleach over just a few days (I lost count) my PH was always 7.2-7.5.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

Waterworks is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Waterworks 0

I'll throw in my two cents.
    Most of my customers never ever use ph down, whether it be dry acid or muriatic. If they use anything at all to adjust their ph it is ph up (soda ash). Many of my customers use only 12% liquid chlorine, with no pucks, and hardly any use cal hypo. We've always figured that this is because of our city water's ph of 6.6, alkalinity of 30, acid rain and having properly alkalinity balance.
    Also, we've sold around 30 SWC's and haven't heard a complaint yet of high ph. These people tend to range from 7.5-7.8, while our normal customers tend to range from 7.2-7.5.

Brad
    Waterworks Pools

Default Re: Bleach same as Chlorine... So what should I have on hand to get through summer???

So will all the following get me through the summer barring no "funny business"????

1. Generic Bleach (this is my chlorine to use... I don't need the tablets with Tri or Di chemicals in them?)

2. Borax

3. Baking Soda

4. Muriatic Acid

5. Cyanuric Acid

6. 6 Way tester from HTH

7. Bathing Suit

8. Floaties

AG 8,500

Sand Filter

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Sounds about right. You only have to add the cyanuric acid once though. Once you get it to the level you want it, then don't add any more (whether it be through pucks, di-chlor shock, etc.). Just use the bleach for all your chlorination and "shock" needs.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

+ Reply to Thread