+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I found a water boatmen in our pool...

Default Re: I found a water boatmen in our pool...

Hey Joe! Thanks for the reply! I broke down today and bought combat 60 to kill them. We have so many, we don't even want to get in. The pool guy said that it would do the job but after reading the bottle it looks like it is to help with preventing algae. This is also our first year with the pool and our neighbor said the same thing you said about having them bad the the first year they had their pool. Anyways hope this does the job! Thanks again for your reply!
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by MBeardsley
    Hey Joe! Thanks for the reply! I broke down today and bought combat 60 to kill them. We have so many, we don't even want to get in. The pool guy said that it would do the job but after reading the bottle it looks like it is to help with preventing algae. This is also our first year with the pool and our neighbor said the same thing you said about having them bad the the first year they had their pool. Anyways hope this does the job! Thanks again for your reply!
    Michelle
    Michelle,

Would you mind posting the ingredients of the "Combat 60". I have not heard of it and couldn't find anything on Google. Wondering if it is something that reduces the surface tension of the water therefore preventing the little buggers forming the air sac that enables them to stay under so long.

Joe
    Joe
    27ft 17K gallon Polytech aluminum & stainless AG Pool / DE filter / Wedding Cake Steps

michladny is offline ** No working email address ** michladny 0

I am FREAKING OUT as I was cleaning the pool today (as I vacuum twice a week) and this things swims by the pole UNDER the water like it is enjoying itself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE, HATE, HATE, BUGS and I CERTAINLY do not want them sharing my pool !!!!!!! I managed to catch him and put him in a jar and he is swimming around in there....... so I have to smush him to get rid of him????? This is the first time since May 19th (when the pool was put up) that I have found something like this...... EWWWWWWWWWWW---kinda takes all of the enjoyment out of the pool for me. This thing swims on his back and has dagger like front legs/fangs and long hind legs that look like oars.

YUK YUK YUK

I just did something very interesting.....
    I caught the bug, placed it in a jar and left it halfway filled and then I put bleach in it (about a 1/4 cup) and now he is floating at the top of the jar and not moving much at all..... I thought bleach/shock wouldn't kill them or did I suffocate him---it has been about 15 minutes since I put him in here with the bleach? My water is sooo clear and I keep my chlorine at around 5 (with a CYA between 40-50).

You have 5 ppm in your pool.

You likely have around 250,000 ppm in your jar.

That would do it, drain pool 3/4 of the way, refill with bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by sevver
    That would do it, drain pool 3/4 of the way, refill with bleach.

lol

Well, I've found a few more in the past couple weeks. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem...I get maybe one to four a week. I just hope the numbers stay low

They are strange little bugs though. I suppose we should all be happy we don't have the giant waterbug

HEY...that sounds like a great idea - drain water: add bleach !!!! Maybe the entire family can swim in bleach instead of water.......
    I did find this on the net last evening:

1. "I have a huge problem with the backswimmers in my pool. I have spent a few hundred dollars and a lot of time to try and get rid of them........... All you have to do is get BioGuard brand Back-Up algaecide and put the whole bottle in your pool. I just put it in an hour ago and there are at least 50 dead bugs floating at the top of my pool.............." http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/How_do_you_...mers_in_a_pool
    Last edited by michladny; 07-20-2006 at 08:05 AM.

helix2000 is offline ** No working email address ** helix2000 0

We have an above ground pool that we keep very clean, and we have both waterboatmen and backswimmers (about 4 - 6 per week). If you see both of them, you can tell the difference. The wb are slighly smaller, lighter in color (gray) and seem to stay by the sides of the pool (they feed on any algee in the pool).

The bs are larger in size, darker in color (closer to black), much faster swimmers and swim all over the pool. They also bite but wb do not. If you can look at one closely when it comes to the surface, you can actually see it's nasty little legs curled up on top of it since it swims on its back.

The bs eat the wb and other water bugs in the pool. Guess that is why they are larger because they have a belly full of wb.

We have not found a way to keep them out yet. I am going to try that Bioguard product. For now, I just walk around the pool and can usually spot them and get them out with a net and crush them. I won't get into the pool until I have thoroughly checked it. They both creep me out.

I have also heard of mixing dish soap in a water bottle and spraying the top of the pool so they can't come up for air. I don't know if this works, but it may be worth a try for a smaller pool.

Quote Originally Posted by helix2000
    I have also heard of mixing dish soap in a water bottle and spraying the top of the pool so they can't come up for air. I don't know if this works, but it may be worth a try for a smaller pool.
    I don't think that is a good idea. Read this post here.

+ Reply to Thread