+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: safe depth to drain vinyl pool w/vinyl stairs

Default safe depth to drain vinyl pool w/vinyl stairs (pic)

I'm getting ready to drain my inground vinyl lined pool at least halfway. My husband is freaking out that we shouldn't drain it. One place on the steps has pulled away slightly (actually our realtor did it when we were looking at the house, she had never seen a vinyl liner and wanted to see what was behind it) and continues to pull away even after we shove it back in there. But it's minor.
    So here's my question. I know it's safe to drain it at least half way...but even with vinyl stairs?
    He's got me totally paranoid that our pool will sink through the ground and suck us down with it!

I hate the coping btw, how hard it is to change that? Curious..

Thanks.

Oh, I'm draining because my cya is over 110 now.
    Last edited by ScottsdaleSwim; 07-01-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Default Re: safe depth to drain vinyl pool w/vinyl stairs

First, I'm new to this board and to PoolSolutions, so keep that in mind when reading this post. I'm answering because I have recent experience with partially draining my pool earlier this Spring. I know others will be along to give you the best advise.

Be veerrrry careful!!!. For reasons that are beside the point here, I drained my pool down about 18" from the normal water line (just under 6,000 gallons). When the vinyl liner began to billow inward significantly, I stopped immediately. Luckily, I didn't do any real damage and when I refilled the liner pretty much went back to its original position (except for a couple of minor wrinkles on the bottom).

I believe that ground water can cause real problems when draining a vinyl pool. I've even heard of vinyl liners floating right up out of their reinforcing walls. This is not good. Maybe ground water is not an issue in Scottsdale.

I too have CYA above 100. I'm simply maintaining a high chlorine content as recommended by Ben's Best Guess CYA chart http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365. I'm going to live with my high CYA for the rest of this season, then when I reopen next Spring I'll see where my CYA stands. If its still unacceptably high, I'll drain some, but not all of my pool water.

I'll be following this thread with interest since you and I have the same reasons for wanting to drain our pools.

-Jim
    Last edited by cheshamjim; 07-01-2006 at 03:13 PM.
    Jim
    16' x 32' / 15,400 gal / IG vinyl
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

there was a method posted here a while ago where you lay in a plastic sheet on the water. you then pump the water out from under the plastic and add water to the top.. basically you can pump out the bad water without a lot of mixing from the good.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

I remember that thread and was part of it. I think it was Watermom who suggested an oversize tarp could be laid across the pool and new water added to it. As the rate of incoming new water and outgoing old water are kept approximately the same, the tarp would form a membrane against the sides and bottom of the existing liner due to the weight of new water.

This really sounds like a good idea to me, but when I posted a new thread asking about the experiences of anyone who might have had success with this approach, I got no response -- either positive or negative.

I will probably be trying it next spring if my CYA doesn't come down over the winter (and from what I read in these forums, it most probably won't).

-Jim
    Jim
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Actually, it was Al (Poconos) who suggested this method. Don't know if he actually has done it himself or not. Maybe he'll comment on it for you.

I didn't drain this weekend hoping for more responses.

The tarp would have to be the size of the liner. It can't just be the length and width of the pool because you have to account for the depth...or at least half of the depth depending on the amount you needed to drain - and then some so that you can hold it down on the perimeter of the deck, otherwise it would slide into the pool.
    I'm not sure I could find a tarp that large.

I don't think the barrier has to extend out of the pool, only form a layer bewteen the out flow and in flow .. keeping the 2 at the same flow rate is tricky I bet. most pumps move a LOT more water than the hose can put back in .

Why not just enjoy the pool for the rest of the summer and then drain it while it's not being used ?

what part of Scottsdale?
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Because you can't completely drain a vinyl pool. It can ruin the liner, float the whole pool or worse. I've heard mostly horror stories about draining a vinyl pool.

How would you keep the tarp on top of the existing pool water and keep the water dispersed evenly enough so that the tarp doesn't slip into the water and mix the new water with the existing water if you don't have it secured around the pool?

That would be like floating saran wrap (unsecured) on top of a bowl- half filled with water and not expecting it to slide under.

I'm having a hard time explaining it...does that make sense?

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

4 winters now, i have drained my water down about 22 inches from the top edge (which puts it about 2 inches below my jets) vinyl pool vinyl stairs.no problems whatsoever and the pool store's recommendation..

from the standpoint of how much water would be then left in my 15,000 gallon pool? well, at the shallow end, about 26 inches.i have to figure i've drained at about 40% if it to get below the jets. and yes, we do get winter here in my part of alberta canada. (about 45 minutes north of the montana border)

Scotsdale, you are absolutely correct about needing a tarp large enough to not only accomodate your pool's length and width, but the depth as well. We are unlikely to find a tarp that big at the local Lowe's or Home Depot.

I think the word "tarp" might be a little misleading for our purposes. I think plastic sheeting better describes what we are talking about to accomplish this job. I Googled the term and found this. This is expensive material in the sizes we need ($130 for a 32' x 100' roll), but I think I'll go for it next spring.

The way I visualize this working is this. My pool is 16' wide x 32' long x 6' at the deepest location (we don't dive ). I figure the 32' wide roll would be adequate for me cut to a length of 44' (the roll is 100' long).

I'll spread the plastic film over the pool and maybe temporarily put weights on the corners to keep the breezes from blowing the sheet off. Then I'll add water on top of the sheet which will keep the new water separated from the old. I'll add enough new water starting out to get the sheeting to sink down and against the old water and the exposed pool walls. Then I'll start pumping the old water out. Most sump pumps will pump water faster than new water can be added, so I'll pump and stop, fill and stop, pump and stop, etc...pumping and filling need not be done simultaneously and in perfect synchronization.

The sheeting I have referenced is only 4 mils thick (.004") but the sheet really shouldn't be stressed since it will essentially be in equilibrium. I think it will work fine.

While I've never done this, I'm confident that by draining slowly and observing whether, in fact, the sheet is being forced effectively against the pool walls, I can control things. If things start to go south, I can abort the process. I'd be out the cost of the sheet and the rental for a submersible sump pump , but I think its worth the risk to get my CYA right.

I sure would be thankful if anyone who sees some problem with this plan would speak up.

-Jim
    Last edited by cheshamjim; 07-06-2006 at 06:17 PM.
    Jim
    All testing done with
    PS234 test kit

+ Reply to Thread