+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CC and Shocking

jrv331 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jrv331 0

Default CC and Shocking

I know the general rule is to shock when the CC level is over .5, but with a level that low would you even notice a color change? Im using a Taylor kit and dont even think I'd see the change.
    Thanks
    John

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: CC and Shocking

You are pretty close. The problem is if you run the 10ml test, you cannot tell if it's actually .5, or less. If you see NO pink tint at all, it's 0ppm. But if there's a hint of pink and one drop of reagent clears it, it could be anything from just over 0 to .5, but no more.

A lot of us have found it to be very difficult to get that last bit out--and swim anyway. It can mean something--I had a very tiny but persistent bit of algae inside my drop-in steps that seemed to not be reachable even when FC was 15! This year I'm trying something else that seems to work.

Remember, though, you CAN do the test with 25ml. Then each drop represents .2ppm, not .5ppm, so you can get a better feel if it's only 0 to .2ppm-if it's definitely less than .5 (.2 or .4ppm) then don't worry about it.
    Carl

Thanks for the response. How would I use the 25ml tube? How many drops of solution would I need to add?
    Thanks
    JOhn

Quote Originally Posted by jrv331
    Thanks for the response. How would I use the 25ml tube? How many drops of solution would I need to add?
    Thanks
    JOhn
    John,

You will use the same amount of drops as indicated in the instructions, the only difference is that you will multiply the number of drops you counted by 0.2 instead of 0.5.

I hope that makes sense.

Edit: So, instead of 1 drop = 0.5, it will be 1 drop = 0.2
    Last edited by Dr. Spike; 07-01-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    ~Dr. Spike

Pool: IG vinyl, heated, fully enclosed (dome)
    Shape: Grecian (rectangular)
    Size: 20'W x 40'L
    Depth: 4' / 8'
    Filter: Sand w/DE added
    Other: 6' Diving Board
    Maintenance: BBB! Ben's PS234 kit! Manual vacuum, brush, and Pool Buster Max CG Gold

I think Im missing somethig here. With my current kit I just fill the vial to the marked lin then add the drops as instructed then compare to the pink on the chart. It goes from 1-5. For the CC test I add 5 more drops of a different solution then compare to the previous color. Im missing the part about .02 and .05 for multiplying. There is no multiplying in my kit - ist just compare the color after CC drops are added.
    Thanks
    John

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by jrv331
    I think Im missing somethig here. With my current kit I just fill the vial to the marked lin then add the drops as instructed then compare to the pink on the chart. It goes from 1-5. For the CC test I add 5 more drops of a different solution then compare to the previous color. Im missing the part about .02 and .05 for multiplying. There is no multiplying in my kit - ist just compare the color after CC drops are added.
    Thanks
    John
    You are using the Taylor K-2005 which is a DPD test. the others were talking about the K-2006 which is an FAS-DPD titration test. With your kit if you see the color darken when you add reagent 3 you have CC. this kit really won't measure less than about 1 ppm CC so anything less will be subjective. If the color stays exactly the same then assume there is no CC, if it gets darker then you might want to shock.
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-02-2006 at 05:22 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the clarification.
    John

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I was talking about the FAS-DPD kit.
    ~Dr. Spike

Pool: IG vinyl, heated, fully enclosed (dome)
    Shape: Grecian (rectangular)
    Size: 20'W x 40'L
    Depth: 4' / 8'
    Filter: Sand w/DE added
    Other: 6' Diving Board
    Maintenance: BBB! Ben's PS234 kit! Manual vacuum, brush, and Pool Buster Max CG Gold

+ Reply to Thread